How Do I Respond?

Decorating By wls23 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 3:15am by crisseyann

wls23 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 9

when you use a doctored-cake mix and am asked whether or not I have made the cake from scratch, how do you respond?

8 replies
Suewillo Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

When asked this I always say it's a special recipe that uses both cake mix and my home made recipe. I don't share this recipe with anyone, that way if they really love it they come back for more.

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 9

I think the PP has a perfect response. You are letting them know it starts with a mix, which is important for allergy reasons. If people like your cake, they're not going to care if it's a mix. (and if they do, there's plently of other customers out there who won't!)

butterfly831915 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 9

I usually say my base is a box mix then I add my own rec. to it.

TantalizingTreats Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 9

I use a doctored cake mix as well... and I tell my customers pretty much the same thing... that I start with a box and then add my own recipe to it.. and if they ask why from a box... I always tell them that if I did scratch, my prices would be higher... never had a complaint after I've told them that

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 9
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

I usually say my base is a box mix then I add my own rec. to it.

Good answer. "I start with a mix and add my own stuff to it."

I've also told a few, "If I baked from scratch, you couldn't afford me."

RobzC8kz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 9

I tell them that my basic flavors are from a box mix because pound for pound, they are already perfect and if I were to make the basic butter yellow, white, devils food, etc from scratch, I'd have to charge more for ingredients!

I let them know that any premium flavor or custom flavor is always made from scratch and therefore comes with a higher price...ero "premium."

Never had a complaint! Makes perfect sense to people that if Duncan Hines makes an awesome Devils Food mix for $2.00 a box, that there's no point in paying $20.00 in raw ingredients for the same thing!

And I use no extenders or add ins. Just straight from the box. The only thing I do is add a touch more oil and bake at 325 degrees. And everyone raves that "mine" is their favorite of all time!

diane Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #8 of 9

you'll be surprised at just how many people start with a box mix and then doctor it up!!! icon_biggrin.gif

crisseyann Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 9

You could say "Like many bakeries, I start with a commercial base. I then add my own fresh ingredients to that"

Quote by @%username% on %date%