Freezing Cakes That Are Torted, Filled And Covered???

Decorating By princessmargie Updated 15 May 2009 , 12:40pm by whisperingmadcow

princessmargie Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 9

I've read that a lot of people freeze their cakes in advance. I was wondering if anyone freezes them torted, filled and crumb coated? Also, does anyone cover their cakes with fondant and freeze them in advance as well? I'm trying to save time the day of decorating icon_smile.gif But I wasn't sure if moisture would play a factor in freezing fondant covered cakes. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
princessmargie Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 9

Can anyone help? Please icon_smile.gif

jardot22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think it would be a good idea to freeze a fondant covered cake because of the condensation that would come into play and make the fondant tacky after thawing, but I am also interested in how many people freeze cakes that are torted, filled and crumbcoated. Sorry I'm not much help, but hopefully someone with experience will respond icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely cakes that are torted, filled, and crumbed can be fzn w/o problems........providing the filling is freezer safe.
If you do, UNcover to thaw. The crumb coat will keep the cake from drying out. If it remains covered the crumb coat will get mushy.
I have heard for years never fz a cake covered in fondant; but then I have read on this site that some have and say there is no ill effect. I'm w/jardott.....I think the cake would end up mushy (to some extent) as the fondant would keep hold in moisture that would naturally evaporate on other cakes icon_sad.gif

RobzC8kz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 9

I do it all the time! Especially when I know I have a lot of cakes due and need to bake in advance! I never freeze for more than 1 week though...just a personal peeve of mine...

I don't freeze fondant covered cakes, but I've heard it could go either way. I prefer my fondant to be fresh.

Just be sure to bring a frozen cake back to room temperature before putting your BC/Fondant on it to minimize condensation and cake ruining sweating!

princessmargie Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone! Yes, I just want to bake at most a week ahead of time icon_smile.gif I've also read some people freeze fondant covered cakes but I'm too afraid to try it due to condensation. Maybe I won't go that far. Or, I'll bake a small cake, cover it, freeze for a couple days and let thaw to see what happens...just for fun! Thanks for your help everybody!

GI Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #7 of 9

princessmargie - did you ever try this? freezing a fondant-covered cake and then thawing? And what was your results? icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 9

Dont freeze fondant and dont freeze fresh fruit fillings, otherwise its just fine. Some people say they freeze fondant and once it comes to room temp. the condensation goes away and looks fine, but you know I didnt listen to everyone and I refriderated a fondant cake just looked so horrible. It was wet and slimey...ugh. I was embarassed when I showed up at the party.

whisperingmadcow Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 9

Maybe freezing fondant depends on your location and your freezer. I have heard it both ways but never tried it myself. I think you have the best idea by trying it on something small and seeing if you like the results.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%