The Cake Dr. Book...

Baking By twingirls05 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm by Madiken

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

I bought this book and love it! I am doing my 2 tier "wedding" cake for Wilton course 3 next week and was wondering what recipes you like in that book for stacking?

I made the Darn Good Chocolate Cake for my sister's bday and it turned out perfect and was so easy to ice and stayed together great!

I did the Fresh Orange cake the following week and it was so super moist that it was hard to work with.

What do you like out of that book for stacking/filling

6 replies
tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 7

I like the basic sour cream cakes from the book. white sour cream, yellow sour cream. they are durable. i also use the devil's food buttermilk cake all the time and love it. gotten rave reviews on it. its cheaper to make than the chocolate cake you mentioned because you don't have to buy choc chips which are expensive.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 7

I'm with TMT and, too, love the sour cream white cake recipe. I've also used the pound cake recipes and loved them. Darn Good Chocolate is wonderful, chocolate cupcake recipe is great, the strawberry cake is yummy, and my mom has been making the Rum Cake recipe since it first arrived on the scene in the seventies. It's a great book for relocating some of the long lost recipes like friendship cake, etc. as well!

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

i have made the ice cream cake a couple times - always great and easy to swap up flavors

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

Love the book, too. I made the strawberry cake last week, and I'm not sure that would be a great choice for stacking...very moist, (but in a delicious way!) Like the others have said, the chocolates are pretty dense yet still moist, as are the pound cakes. hth!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 7

I'd agree with Sweetjan regarding the strawberry cake... the first one I mentioned were my favs for stacking, the strawberry cake is moist, and fine as a single cake, but would not do well as a tiered cake. I should have clarified that in my original post.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 7

The buttermilk spice cake recipe is a good one too, especially with cream cheese icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%