Rkt & Gumpaste Accents - How Far In Advance?

Decorating By clovely Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 3:30am by clovely

clovely Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 6

If I need a cake for next Monday (a week from yesterday), how early can I make some RKT pieces to be covered in fondant (I'd like someone to be able to eat these if they want to) and then some others just to be made out of gumpaste?

Also, I may be in way over my head but what I want to make out of gumpaste are some pieces for a Dr. Seuss cake - kites, a dress on a hanger, a ball, and Thing 1 and Thing 2! (Thing 1 and Thing 2 might be really ambitious - I want them to be 5-6" high.) Could I just make those things out of fondant?

5 replies
goldenegg Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovely

Also, I may be in way over my head but what I want to make out of gumpaste are some pieces for a Dr. Seuss cake - kites, a dress on a hanger, a ball, and Thing 1 and Thing 2! (Thing 1 and Thing 2 might be really ambitious - I want them to be 5-6" high.) Could I just make those things out of fondant?

Probably if you just add Tylose powder to your fondant. sorry don't have an answer for the RKT question icon_biggrin.gif

Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 6

I do a lot of things wayyyy out in advance of when the project is due so a week out is not an issue in any sense of the matter and is actually wise because you never know what might mess with drying time, etc. As for Thing 1 and Thing 2, I'd combine at about 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. Sometimes, if you are just adding Tylose powder to fondant it can make it too stiff and you lose precious time that you can work with your figure due to the fact that it wants to dry much faster. Make sure the Things have a good central support system as I seem to remember them being skinny necked...? The dress on the hanger... I make the hanger out of gumpaste, and the dress out of the combo of the two mediums.

Hope that helps!

edited to add that when I have covered RKT in fondant, I find that it takes longer to dry anyway -- I use boxed RKT and I think the grease in the RKT makes it want to soften. Some people, when making them from scratch simply omit the butter which would remove that element.

sweetjan Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not the expert that most people on CC are, but I personally would be careful about the taller fondant pieces. It's just softer than gumpaste, no matter how it dries. At least that's my input.....and post a pic of your final product!!! thumbs_up.gif

erikamj Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 6

For the RKT I usually make my pieces a couple of days in advance so they have time to really set and then I cover them.

For the other pieces I would probably use straight gumpaste to get the stiffness you will need for things like thing 1 and 2.

clovely Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

OK, I just made these - my first real efforts with RKTs. This is Thing 1, Thing 2, the Cat in the Hat hat with a teapot perched on top, and I also made a "Piston Cup" for a Cars cake. So what exactly made the Elmo head explode?? I'm scared.

I am planning to cover all of these with fondant. I need to make a fish to go in the teapot...can I do that with fondant? I should use gumpaste, huh? That might be hard. I guess I should do the two kites and a dress on a hanger (like in the book) out of gumpaste. I've got 12 gauge wire for the kites - I want Thing 1 and Thing 2 to hold the kits with their little toothpick & fondant arms...will that work??? I was hoping to have the kites extend pretty high and all around the (approx 3 tier) cake.

Is this going to come together at all? I'm open to suggestions!! I've got to have the Piston Cup for a cake on Friday (but everything else on that cake is pretty straigth forward). Seuss is for Monday. I really want this to work!!

Oh yea - what do you suggest for Thing 1 and Thing 2's hair? Do I just leave these out tonight to dry? Will they still be edible? Could I work on covering them with fondant on Thursday? Maybe just the Piston Cup on Thursday; I can hold off on the Seuss pieces till Friday, I think...just leave it all out to air dry till then?? Thanks.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%