Help! Frosting Disaster- Need Advise For Next Week's Cake

Decorating By chisaiona Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm by chisaiona

chisaiona Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need help! I was trying to frost a mango cake for a friend's birthday. This was a trial run. The frosting never came together. In fact it looked like cottage cheese. What did I do wrong? The recipe was 2 c butter creamed very well, add 1 1/2c milk mixed in with 2 c sugar then blend in 2 c whipped cream. The frosting never fully mixed together. Even if I took out some of the milk, everything wasn't mixing in with the butter. Was it because all the ingredients were too cold? I am looking for a nice light frosting that will hold overnight. I was thinking about a whipped cream topping but thought it would melt by the next day. Can anyone help? Any suggestions on a nice light frosting? I am not sure if I want to use a buttercream since it has shortening on it.

Also, I have a sponge cake question. The sponge cake baked fine, meaning the toothpick came up clean and the top sprang back slightly but the finished product was sticky on top. I baked at a lower temp (325 for 35 mins instead of 325 for 25 mins) Is this normal?

Everything tasted great but looked horrible. so I threw it away.

Thanks for your advise in advance

7 replies
MJoycake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 8

I can't speak to the sponge cake (other than saying that if it tasted great, I'd make it into cake balls, or just freeze it for snacking on instead of throwing it away!)

I'd use Swiss Meringue buttercream....it's very light and airy....like whipped cream texture. I LOVE it.

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

There's not enough solid in that recipe to hold everything together. Are you sure it's 2 CUPS and not 2 POUNDS of sugar? (and is it powdered sugar or granulated sugar?)

If I read that recipe in a magazine, I would expect it to be "soupy" and not of a real "icing" consistency.

chisaiona Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 8

the recipe only called for 2 cups sugar (granulated) not powdered. and the milk never got incorporated with the butter. can you suggest another kind of frosting? i have never made a SMBC but will try it. any special tips i should look out for?
thanks again

MJoycake Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 8

Here's a link to a blog that has a video...http://howtoeatacupcake.net/2008/02/face-your-smbc-fears.html you can also find tutorial videos on youtube. The main thing to note is to mix on high speed AFTER all of the butter has been incorporated....it will look very soupy, but after a few minutes of mixing on high at the end it will come together beautifully....so don't give up on it before the high speed mix at the end! Good luck with it! I use this recipe http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9887837/ . And I'm sure there are great recipes on CC too!

chisaiona Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for the advise. I will try out the SMBC this weekend

KitchenKat Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

I know that recipe you are using. Is this by chance a Filipino recipe? If it is then bingo, if not, it's very similar to a popular mango cake recipe.

It does work but your butter must have been too cold. I use room temp butter, cream it till it's light ad consistency creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat till incorporated, light and fluffy (as though you're creaming it for baking a cake). Add the room temp milk in a thin stream while beating the sugar and butter. It will be thick but not spreadable, like a cake batter. At this point fold in the stiffly whipped cream. This should make it of spreadable consistency. If it's too thin that it drips down then refrigerate until it firms up.

Personally I don't bother with the butter and milk. It does nothing to the taste of the frosting, it's just there to sort of stabilize the cream. But the work involved isn't wort it and there are easier/better ways of stabilizing cream. I just used sweetened, non stabilized whipped cream. Cream is just milk and butter anyway.

HTH

chisaiona Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 8

Yes. that is amazing that you figured it was from a filipino recipe. If I just use sweetened whipped cream, do you think it will weep if I frost overnight, refrigerate and serve late in the afternoon the next day at room temperature?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%