Batter Measurements For 3 Inch High Square Cake Pans????

Decorating By slice09 Updated 4 May 2009 , 10:59pm by CVB

slice09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slice09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a list or chart telling how many cups of cake batter works best in 3 inch high square cake pans? I would hate to "guesstimate" on this and end up with overflowing cakes! HELP!! Thanks....

5 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 6

I use Wilton's chart for 3 inch pans that shows how much batter for various pans. Here's a link:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-3-inch-pans.cfm

Hope this helps!

slice09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I have the Wilton chart for 2 inch high pans, but couldn't find one for the 3 inch. I noticed that the chart only goes up to a 14 inch square. Have you ever made a 16 inch? If so how much batter do you use? I am making a wedding cake the end of May and the largest tier is a 16 inch. I have never used the 3 inch pans before, so I need to get this figured out before it's time to bake. uuuggghh

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

Just an idea:

Use a measuring cup of water to fill the cake pan to the height recommended for the batter. Add up how many cups of water it took and you will have an estimate of cake batter necessary to fill the pan to that same height.

I use this idea for unknown pans the first go round then make a note of what was needed!

slice09 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 6

That's a good idea about using the water as a guideline. Thanks for that tip! icon_smile.gif

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 6

That is such a great idea, thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%