A Ruffled Dress On A Doll Cake

Decorating By BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Updated 1 May 2009 , 10:10pm by BAKE-ME-A-CAKE

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, this is going to be hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot. I need to make Belle from Beauty and the Beast for Saturday. I want her dress to be bubbled kinda of, if that makes sense. I don't want to put the fondant on in one piece I want kinda vertical stripes but each one bubbled out and then define it with curves like smiles all around (before the fondant sets). I don't think it would be clear what I'm talking about unless you view this clipart:

http://www.aboyd.com/images/adg639.jpg

(I also added the clipart as an attachment, if that's easier)

How can I make each vertical "strip" of fondant bulge out? Can I make the bc bulge out and then paste on the fondant? Am I setting myself up for disaster and I should just make her smooth. I want to make it as real as possible...but then again I'm talking about a cartoon, so I guess I have some screws loose. Any suggestions for my bubbled or bulged out concept? Thanks.
LL

8 replies
BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 9

Oh..one more thing...Can I torte this doll cake just like any other cake and add a filling? I never torted a shaped cake before (only round and square). Thanks again

bakingatthebeach Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 9

I just did a bassinet cake (in my pics) where I used one piece of fondant/gumpaste, I rolled it out and cut it into a rectangle, then rolled that piece up, and I unrolled it as I pleated it around the bassinet, and I was able to play with it and move it to the position I wanted. Maybe you can try that with a spare piece on an upside down bowl or something to see if you can get what your looking for.

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 9

maybe you could cover it in a oner? if you are generous with your buttercream (no too much, but certainly more than a crumb coat), and dothis when the fondant hast had a chance to start drying... i would lightly press with a knife to get the verticle lines, maybe use a very small ball tool or something so its more of an impression that a proper line. then i would use the big end of a piping nozel, and press it in to get the semi-circle bits.
i used that method to do dragon scales, i think it might look good here too.
xx

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks brincess_b, that makes a lot of sense. I'm going give it go with a little extra bc so the fondant can indent in it. I actually did that with my "Little Peanut" cake...I forget quickly. And thanks for the tip (no pun intended) about the curved lines, that'll make it quick and easy.

Thanks bakingatthebeach, I like the idea of the practice run on an inverted bowl...I could even use the doll pan itself to practice. I never though of that.

It feels good to have a plan/strategy. I'll post the pic sometime after Saturday and let you know how it went.

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 9

good luck, it should be a lovely cake icon_smile.gif
i havent used that shape pan, but i would think you could torte it as normal.
xx

Tee-Y Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 9

After putting buttercream on the cake, roll out fondant logs with a tapered end and place around the cake then cover with fondant pleating as you go.HTH

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for your help. I posted Belle in my gallery. Check out the finished project. I used this method: a little extra bc, covered in MMF and made vertical indentations with a ruler and horizontal curves with the cap of a food color gel jar. I'm very pleased with the results. Thanks again.

I'll definitely try the fondant "logs" another time if I need that type of look.

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 9

Oh BTW, I did torte it. I torted 2x and filled with pudding. It worked out nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%