Fondant On Red Velvet

Decorating By KathyHT Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 11:46am by Texas_Rose

KathyHT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyHT Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 14

Does anyone know if a Red Velvet cake is strong enough for carving into a 3D cake with fondant? I've never had Red Velvet but thought it would be neat to try for a birthday cake I have to have done by Friday. Red is one of their favorite colors.
I'm thinking of trying out the Sarah's Red Velvet - TWEAKED recipe on this site.

13 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #2 of 14

It is a very light spongy cake....very. Unless I have botched the recipe twice now, which I doubt. I don't think it's good for carving unless you freeze the heck out of it first. But then it will light and spongy again. I dunno...ask CakePro....it's her recipe. It's wonderful by the way!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 14

I made Paula Deens Red velvet and although I did not carve it (I torted it) I can say that I think it is dense enough to carve. You can find it on the Food Network website.

jenny_adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny_adams Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 14

That sounds delicious either way... icon_lol.gif

Leesh916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leesh916 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 14

Hey I am doing a red velvet cake covered in fondant tomorrow and I just joined this site today. I was looking for this exact info. Funny thing is I was planning to use that paula deen recipe too icon_smile.gif Glad to know it should hold up. Good luck on yours!

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 14

I'm making my daughters wedding cake next month. Fondant on red velvet cake. I also was worried it wouldn't told up glad to know someone else has used before with ok results. icon_biggrin.gif

fraserkelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fraserkelly Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 14

yes i think it is. we work in a carvery that has done this in the past so should be fine! icon_lol.gif

MELI_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELI_CAKES Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 14

I have used fondant on red velvet cakes before with sucess.
For carving you would probably just want to refrigerate before hand for extra firmness.
Good Luck !

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie1958

I'm making my daughters wedding cake next month. Fondant on red velvet cake. I also was worried it wouldn't told up glad to know someone else has used before with ok results. icon_biggrin.gif

I have never had an issue with covering red velvet cake with fondant. Even when I use DH red velvet straight box mix with no tweaking. I have never attempted to carve red velvet and wouldn't unless the recipe was altered to make a denser cake. But for covering with fondant held up fine for me.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #10 of 14

The carved Falkor cake in my photos was RV covered in fondant...It held up very well for carving. I guess it depends on what recipe you use. I was just reading another thread about RV cake and someone mentioned something about how they do two different kinds of RV. 'City' velvet and 'country' velvet icon_lol.gif, so I guess there is a difference!

kittyskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittyskakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #11 of 14

I have made a 3d racecar that was red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and had no problems with it at all, cake held up perfectly with fondant on it icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:14am
post #12 of 14

Yes you can. I made this cake years ago out of Red Velvet for a contest at work. The carrot is blocking the mouth. Was so mad a co worker smashed the head so nobody was able to eat it. The purple purse was also made out of Red Velvet. http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Photo.aspx?photoID=275063

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:44am
post #13 of 14

I have used the recipe found on this site "Red Velvet Redux". It's very dense and it said it can be used for carving. Oh and it's delicious too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:46am
post #14 of 14

I used Macsmom's red velvet recipe for a carved cake...it's the nude cake in my photos, don't look if you're easily shocked! Anyhow, it was red velvet and it held up perfectly to being carved and covered in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%