Stars On Wire?

Decorating By cshelz Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm by deliciously_decadent

cshelz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 18

How do I place the gumpaste stars on wires. I am doing a 13 B-day cake 2 tier and am putting stars on wires coming out of top. Never have used wires but love the look. Any Ideas? Thanks so much.

17 replies
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #2 of 18

this is sooo easy there are two ways you can insert a damp florists wire into the stars when still soft and leave to dry (sometmes they dont stick though) so i take a florists wire and heat the end over an open flame (i use a lighter) until hot and press into the back of a dries gumpaste star. it will sink in slightly then just smooth the melted gumpaste over the back of the wire to neaten and allow to cool and then they are ready. if you use the first method you will need to leave for at least 24hrs here are some of my stars on cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341767

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291137

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1284391

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:50am
post #3 of 18

if you did the end of the wire in egg white or edible glue before putting it in the star, it will stick better.
technically, the wires shouldnt go straight in the cake, most people stick them in a straw, filled with fondant/ royal/ bc/ chocolate to hold it.
you know its floristry wire you are after? i used a 24 guage on my celebration cupcakes. the heavier the oject, or the straighter you want to wire to be, the lower number (thicker wire) you need.
to add... most people use a 16-24 guage wire, depending on what it is for.
xx

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:54am
post #4 of 18

i use 22 for smaller shapes or short wires and 18 for bigger shapes and longer wires

LP4702 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:28am
post #5 of 18

wow - so glad to see this question asked as I'm making my first stars on a wire today!!!!

and because I'm still so new to this, why can't you put the wire directly into the cake???

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:31am
post #6 of 18

its just not food safe. im not sure if this depends on exactly which wire you use, as they do come in different brands which are covered in different things.
xx

LP4702 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:33am
post #7 of 18

thanks brincess_b - that's kinda what I thought but wanted to make sure!! guess I need to get some straws!!!

sooooooooo....can someone suggest what type of straws I need please!!!

jennabell441 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #8 of 18

I use coffee stir sticks, like the ones you find at Speedway.
HTH Jen

LP where are you located in Dayton? I live by the airport.

LP4702 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

jennabell441
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use coffee stir sticks, like the ones you find at Speedway.
HTH Jen

LP where are you located in Dayton? I live by the airport.

Hi Jen - I'm in Belmont - southeast corner of Dayton next to Kettering. Thanks for the tip about Speedway....lol!!!!

cshelz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 18

Wow, thanks so much for the help. I will try it out. Thanks again.

Cinderina Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 18

I'm also going to be doing a cake with stars. Has anyone tried just dipping the wire in royal icing to coat it?

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 18

yep, chocolate works for that too!
xx

destinyrn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderina

I'm also going to be doing a cake with stars. Has anyone tried just dipping the wire in royal icing to coat it?

Will the royal icing dimish the shiny silver of the floral wire?

Cinderina Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 18

I would just coat the portion that is put into the cake.

destinyrn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 18

Has anyone ever tried the beading wire that comes in different colors? If so, does it work the same as floral wire? Thanks

chilz822 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 18

I've used it (I'm also a jewelry maker so have lots onhand1), it works great and look really good. I love the hot pink and purple wires as well as black. The especially look good wrapped like a loose spring.
A lot of the colored jewelry is copper based and coated in color, so in that case, I'd use the coffee stirrers in the cake too.

chilz822 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 18

I've used it (I'm also a jewelry maker so have lots onhand1), it works great and look really good. I love the hot pink and purple wires as well as black. The especially look good wrapped like a loose spring.
A lot of the colored jewelry is copper based and coated in color, so in that case, I'd use the coffee stirrers in the cake too.

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 18

i use floral wire that is covered in a paper coating totally food safe, that is what i have used on all the pics i provided earlier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%