Fondant Or Gum Paste??

Decorating By jesus-saves-us-7 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm by jesus-saves-us-7

jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 14

Are they similar? I have not used gum paste before. Pros and cons please...

13 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 14

Fondant is for covering cakes and making soft and/or flat decorations.

Gumpaste is for making flowers (like in my avatar), figurines, and other decorations that need to dry quickly and hard.

HTH

Michele

ailika Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 14

Fondant is a soft creamy preparation of sugar, water, and flavorings that is used as a basis for candies or icings, a candy consisting chiefly of fondant

Fondant is used more to cover cakes, miniatures, and cookies. It's also used to cut out different shapes and attach to cakes and cookies.
Gum paste seems to be more pliable and is the reason why it's more readily used for flowers, leaves, stems, and shaping anything you want.

I prefer fondant to gum paste...you ever watch Ace of Cakes? They actually have some good knowledge of both products

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 14

Ok here is what i know:

Fondant: Mostly used to cover cakes. Dries semi hard but never completely and always is a little soft. You can use it to make figures and decorations. People sometimes use a mixture of 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste to make figures so it easier to work with.

Gumpaste: Dries pretty hard. Mostly used to make figures, especially flowers and can be rolled out very thin. Can also be used to make cutouts that you want to sit up on top of your cake.

HTH

jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 14

Thank you all so much!!

Is gumpaste edible, would anyone want or try to eat it? Does it taste ok if edible? I feel so dumb... icon_redface.gif

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #6 of 14

Don't worry i am new to gumpaste too lol Well it doesn't smell appetizing lol It is technically edible but people don't usually eat it. I guess if u want to you could add some flavour to make it taste better if u do want to eat it icon_smile.gif

jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 14

I've seen so many beautiful things made with fondant and gumpaste, I don't know how anyone could eat it. I was curious because the march of dimes cake I am making for mother's day is going to have some sort of flowers and I wanted to tell winner of the auction weather or not it was ok to eat. icon_razz.gif Sometimes you just never can tell about these things. lol.

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #8 of 14

This is what i found on a website to also add to what i just said:

....'Natural ingredients and FDA-approved colors make for edible gum paste flowers, but painted blooms, rigid arrangements stuck on wires and metallic dusted petals are best left as decoration. The most natural gum paste flowers can be colored by using spices, edible flowers or vegetable juices'

So if u paint them with food safe colours and dusts it should be fine to eat, just not when they are on wires and coloured with stuff like non food safe chalk colours etc....well thats what i get from that icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #9 of 14

yeh you could just be safe and say they are for decoration only, cose i don't think they would want to eat them anyway cose they too nice icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #10 of 14
jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #11 of 14

Thank you so much Elise87 for for information. I found it to be extremely useful!! thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #12 of 14

no worries, also water is fine as a glue or you can dissolve some gumpaste in some water to made a 'glue'....just thought i would throw that in there lol

Widgens Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:48am
post #13 of 14

I've made both, and both are edible. unless you put something like unedible stamens or something like that in them. Usually I make fondant flowers, and stick them on buttercreme cakes. Overnight the buttercreme softens the flower and makes it better to eat, actually. The taste is just sugery. Not nasty at all. thumbs_up.gif

jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you both so much. I feel extremely informed now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%