How Do You Get Tall Cakes?

Decorating By Shirlcantuck Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 6:00am by deliciously_decadent

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I see cakes that seem to be 4 inches tall per tier. How do you get the deep cake heights without the cake being under cooked? are you stacking 4--1" cakes? What is the best method?

Thanks

5 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 6

for fully cooked cakes, i believe they use a heating core, like a rose nail or something.

the tallest i've gotten out of the oven was 3". i guess if one is to tort the cake into few layers and fill in between layers with icing, that may result in tall cakes.

my 3" tall cake was baked without a heating core, but it was only a 9" sized cake. i just used a baking strip around the side to get even baking. i then tort into 3 layers.
however since my fillings was just raspberry jam, and i didn't put much, the height didn't rise at all icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 6

A standard cake pan is 2" tall. I bake two of the 2" cakes, put icing/filling between them and bingo-bango, you have a 4" tall cake.

Just like when your mom make a regular 2-layer cake when you were a kid that looked just like the picture on the front of the cake mix box! thumbs_up.gif

If you want to tort it, slice each of the 2" tall cakes into 1" tall cakes, add filling or icing between each layer. You'll have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. It's really pretty when it's cut!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 6

Whatever indydebi said..lol..agreed!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

If you're using a cake mix, you should try one of the cake mix extender recipes that you can find here. For me, it takes a little more batter than the mix makes to make a nice tall cake, especially if I'm using a cake mix to make 2 9" layers. If you're worried about it not cooking all the way through, spray a flower nail with pam spray and put it upside down in the center of the cake pan before you put the batter in.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:00am
post #6 of 6

i bake 4" tiers in 3" tins with paper collars in them to allow for the extra height, i don't use nails or anything else to heat the core etc ( i did it once and it wasn;t for me, may work for you but this is JMO icon_biggrin.gif ) i just slow bake my cakes at a lower temo for linger times and they work out beautifully moist and evenly cooked, no dry crusty edges or anything thumbs_up.gif but as i said this is just my opinion as i know many people use the nail method

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%