How Do I Make White Chocolate Buttercream?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm by Misdawn

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 20

Do I just add melted white chocolate or what? I have a customer requesting it.

19 replies
CarrieBear Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 20

Here is one of Macsmom's recipes, this is for white chocolate truffle filling

White Chocolate Truffle filling

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c white chocolate chips (2 bags)
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted
*Beat the cream cheese. Melt the chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese. Add vanilla and PS; beat well. It thickens as it cools (you may to pop it in the fridge for a while). You can soften it for a few seconds in the microwave if it gets too thick to spread.

If youre looking for something with out cream cheese you could experiment with just melting white chocolate chips and folding that into buttercream, they also have a white chocolate pudding mix, I am not sure if you could mix that into buttercream? just a couple Idea's

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 20

I tried the pudding mix...itmakes the frosting grainy. I think the customer wants something that doesn't require refrigeration.

linda2006 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 20

i just melt the white chocolate and mix it in with the buttercream tast fine...goodluck icon_lol.gif

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #5 of 20

thanks! I guess I'll give that a try. How much chocolate do you use?

meri1028 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 20

I did what linda2006 did with regular chocolate. I got to the point where I think I added more chocolate than I needed to, but it was reeeallly good! And everybody loved it!

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 20

so how much is enough? I am going to make a double batch of the Wilton recipe of buttercream.

ilucy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 20

I just saw a recipe in the recipe tab then go to top rated and it is there
hope this will help! thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 20

Ok so I went to the recipe and it says that the frosting will harden. Does that mean like crusting buttercream or doea that mean it will REALLY harden. I need to be able to use the diamond impression mat once I frost the cake.

lomfise Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 20

Here's my favorite recipe for chocolate buttercream. All kinds of chocolate can be used.
4 pasteurized egg yolks
60 g powdered sugar
100g soft unsalted butter
100g melted chocolate

Whip the egg yolks well with powdered sugar. Stir in the butter in small cubes, and then the chocolate while still stirring.

This is enough for one layer in an 8" cake

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 20

pasteurized egg yolks? Um...forgive my stupidity, but is that just a regular egg? (Ok quit laughing!)

ilucy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 20

I would think it will crust like the buttercream so that you can do the dimond press into the icing and the recipe said "if you refrigerate it the icing will harder up"
if I had some white chocolate I would try it for you

Eme Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 20

I usually add about 6 oz. of white choc. per single recipe. Melt the choc., add some of your butter or crisco to it, stir well and then add to your BC. I actually add a little cream to it, more like a white choc. ganache and then add in. It will firm up in the fridge but will not harden.

Misdawn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 20

k. thank you!

lomfise Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:36am
post #15 of 20
Originally Posted by Misdawn

pasteurized egg yolks? Um...forgive my stupidity, but is that just a regular egg? (Ok quit laughing!)

Pasteurized means that something has been done to it so there is no salmonella in. Great for recipes where the egg will not be heated over 75c where Salmonella bacteria is usually destroyed.
For RI I always use pasteurized eggwhites. thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:13am
post #16 of 20

After we finish mixing the buttercream following any recipe you choose, we add 1/2 pound melted chocolate to the buttercream and whip until incorporated.

We have found that the chocolate will not harden until you refrigerate. Then you need to simply soften it up to the consistency you want. It will crust like regular buttercream.

The milk and dark chocolate taste like a malted milkshake.

Paul & Peter

BREN28 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 20

ditto,what Eme said. that would be like toba garretts recipe for choc buttercream,add 2 cups of choc ganache to your buttercream( its really good!) instead do white choc ganache and add to your buttercream.

Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 20

Ok so this may sound stupid but if it will harden when refrigerated does that meant that once I have frosted the cake I shouldn't refrigerate it? I know I'm probably just overthinking this but I want to make sure I get it right.

Eme Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #19 of 20

It will firm up in the fridge but won't be rock hard. Think of a stick of butter.... at room temp, nice and soft, put in fridge and it firms up... you can still cut it or make impressions in it or whatever. The molecules are just moving slower and packed closer together, still able to work with it. If you are using an impression mat this would be the perfect time to apply to the cake. If you are worried about it being too hard, then just let it sit for about 10 min. then do whatever is necessary. I use choc. ganaches in my SMBC all the time - refrigerate - and never have a problem with the frosting being too hard ( and SMBC is all butter! icon_smile.gif )

Remember, your BC, no matter what kind, is a mixture of fats and other things, so while it will become firm in the fridge (because of the fats) it will still be workable.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 20

Ok thanks Eme!

Quote by @%username% on %date%