Help!! I'm Offically On The Hook; First Timer!

Decorating By Shirlcantuck Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 9:08am by brincess_b

Shirlcantuck Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I am a "for fun" cake baker and love it more than I ever thought i would. Normally i do birthday cakes for family and friends. Simple things but unique 3d cake art. My neice is getting married in a couple of weeks and asked me to do the wedding cake months ago. Of course I said yes, never really thinking it would come to pass. Well now the date is almost here and my nerves are shot! please give me any expert/semi-expert advise on what to do, not do. She wants a 3 tier stacked round cake; basic white with cascading flowers.

Thanks for listening and for the advice.

2 replies
Butterfly27 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 3

First you need to find out how many people this cake needs to feed so you can figure out what size pans to use for each one of the tiers. I suggest keep it simple using fondant but don't use the wilton fondant that is sold at michaels or walmart. Search the fondant recipes on this site. As far as the cascading flowers, is she wanting you to make the flowers with fondant or gumpaste or are they going to be real or silk flowers? You don't want any flowers that are going to be toxic if they will be touching the cake. Ask her what kind of flowers and if they are real so you can talk to the local florist about them. I hope this has helped you some. Let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your first wedding cake.

brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:08am
post #3 of 3

if they are gumpaste flowers, either start making them now, or order them now!
remember, its only cake. it is three round cakes. they just happen to be sitting on top of each other!

Quote by @%username% on %date%