When Do You Bake Your Cake...

Decorating By buggus Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm by jeking

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #1 of 9

Just a quick question. If you need a cake ready for the next day, do you bake the cake the night before, or the day of?? I've usually done it the night before, but want to know if it would be okay to do it the same day. I need to cover it with fondant before I finally finish it.

8 replies
tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 9

I would bake the night before, so you don't have to wait around for it to cool. Personally I bake ahead of time so I can freeze the cakes, because I think it makes them a lot moister. icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 9

I like mine to settle overnight. Some flavors I freeze even like tonimarie.

suzannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannette Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 9

i always bake mine beforehand and freeze...if i am in a pinch then i will do it the night before but i like to have them frozen...everyone always tells me my cakes are much more moister than theirs and think i add something to the box but the only thing i know tha i do different is freezing it

buggus Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 9

unfortunately I have to do them this morning to have them ready for 6:30 p.m., do you think it'll be okay?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

Just make sure it's plenty cool before icing or putting the fondant on.....

buggus Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 9

After it cooled, I was going to put it in the fridge or freezer for a bit before I put the fondant on to be sure it's really cold.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 9

I do it whenever I have time, which is usually the night before. Makes things run a lot smoother the next day if the cake is already cooled and ready to go! icon_rolleyes.gif

~Wendy

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 9

I would refrigerate it to cool it quickly and thoroughly, then tort, fill and crumb coat. Then place it in the freezer for 20 or so minutes to get it firm prior to quickly icing it and covering with fondant.

We "freeze" all of our crumb-coated cakes prior to covering in fondant. They don't really freeze but they do get nice and firm. This helps them to keep their shape while covering and smoothing the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%