I Think I'm Going To Cry - Ants!

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 5:53am by MegWinn

cakecrazy09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 18

I spent all weekend working on fondant pieces for a cake that I'm making for the Vice President at my work. They were laying on my dining room table drying. When I got home tonight they were covered in ants. I HATE ants! I threw everything in the trash and now I don't know what I'm going to make. I have 4 cakes to make by Sunday. How am I going to keep the ants off the cakes? Anyone else ever had this problem and what do you do? My husband sprayed inside and outside last week. I thought they were gone but I was wrong.

17 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 18

Terro-
It's aunt poison made with Borax. We just had that problem throughout the past week, and within 3 days of putting that stuff out they were gone. It's a clear gel like stuff that you put on shiny cardboard. Just be careful where you put it if you have pets or little kids icon_smile.gif
http://www.terro.com/

bbmom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #3 of 18

hmmm...I'll have to check out terro. I had an ant problem last week. Luckily I was in the kitchen and saw ants heading toward my counter where I had cookies drying. I quickly put them in the oven and took everything off the counters, scrubbed down everything, floors, wall, cabinets etc. Its amazing how much powdered sugar gets around the kitchen, just didnt realize it til ant season started. My husband sprayed outside the house with something he bought at lowe's, there's less ants today, but I havent left anything on the counter either and I have 2 orders for wed.

cakeschmake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 18

i am nervous about ants this summer too, especially since the HD does not allow me to use any pesticide or bug spray that is not applied by a professional (this will be my first summer in business)

what i have found out though is they hate windex (or any blue glass cleaner)...

had a bottom cabinet about 3 feet from my back door where I was keeping cereal, crackers and such... once I found ants in it, I cleaned it out thoroughly with Windex cause that was all i had on hand as a cleaner at the time and those ants never went back into that cabinet... i would re-clean it with windex periodically too to keep em away...and i spray it around the back door

I am counting on Windex, I hope this helps you too

jsmith Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #5 of 18

I agree the Terro ant bait is the best. I use to have a problem with ants as well. I found they were climbing a tree and crossing a branch that touched my house to get in. Go around your house and trim all branches and bushes away that are touching your house and spray everything that touches your house with something like ortho home defense, (columns, garden hose, fence post). And put the terro bait inside in their marching path. The ants inside your house already should die within a few days and the outside ants should be kept out with the ortho. I spray the house every couple of months depending on how rainy it's been. Good luck. I HATE ants.

kjgjam22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 18

sorry you threw the things away.

here is what you can do to combat the ants.

get a container like a tupperware for example fill it 1/2 full with water.
get a smaller container a little higher then the first.
place it in the first on that has the water.
put your cake or what you dont want the ants to get to on top of the second container.

the ants will crawl up the first container that has the water and they will end up in the water and drown. icon_smile.gif no ants.

sweetcravings Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 18

Man, i feel for you...that sucks!
I just saw my first ants last week in the laundry room, sprayed inside and out. Then today while cleaning the darn things are back again..ugh..I feel your pain. I'm panicing since i don't want them in the kitchen like last year. That would be a nightmare.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

sorry you threw the things away.

here is what you can do to combat the ants.

get a container like a tupperware for example fill it 1/2 full with water.
get a smaller container a little higher then the first.
place it in the first on that has the water.
put your cake or what you dont want the ants to get to on top of the second container.

the ants will crawl up the first container that has the water and they will end up in the water and drown. icon_smile.gif no ants.

That's the best way to keep the ants out of the cake, if you can't get the ants out of the house.

Last summer I had a massive ant problem. I had a wall in the kitchen that was literally covered in ants. My landlord sent the exerminator every week and it didn't do any good. We had ants in every room. I was working on a tiered cake and I had to rebake my 10" layers twice because of ants (they even ate through a giant ziplock bag). Finally, my husband got out the card table and set it up with the legs standing in cups of water, and I put all the cake parts on the card table. That was the only thing that worked.

But, boy, do I know how you feel!!! I'm sorry you lost all that work. If the cakes are Sunday maybe there's time to make some of the pieces again.

cakecrazy09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 18

Thanks for all the support and ideas. My husband said the rainy weather is driving them in the house. They are coming in by the front and back door. I'm at war with the ants now! I put out 6 Torro baits and they are attacking them. I spilled some by the front door and they have totally surrounded it. (yuck) I have someone to come clean the house really good tomorrow while I'm at work. Only probelm is I have a dog and will have to pick Torro bait up off the floor before I go to bed. Thank you so much for the water method tip I will be using it rest of the week. I'm less worried about my cakes having those nasty ants on them. Did I mention I had a bad experience with ants as a kid and now I have a total fear of them. I know they are little but they freak me out!

cakecrazy09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #10 of 18

[quote="Texas_Rose"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

Last summer I had a massive ant problem. I had a wall in the kitchen that was literally covered in ants. .

If it gets that bad.....I'm moving out until hubby gets rid of them. I hate the nasty things.

Wildrose6633 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #11 of 18

They also hate the smell of bay leaves. If once you have them under control if you put them into drawers and into cupboards and you can also lay them on the counter and on the floor by the threshold. Most ants won't cross or go near the bay leaves.

Mac Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #12 of 18

We had that problem--I use to wipe the counters and walls with cleaner with orange oil in it and it kept them away for awhile.

Exterminators came but the ants came back. Hubby researched on the net about pharoah ants (I call them piss-ants cuz they piss me off)...a website said to get rid of everything outside (food-wise) that attracts ants...dog food, bread thrown out for the birds, birdseed and hummingbird feeders. Did that and no more ants.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecrazy09

Did I mention I had a bad experience with ants as a kid and now I have a total fear of them. I know they are little but they freak me out!

You're not the only one...my oldest daughter is allergic to fire ants and we have to have an epi-pen. So all last summer every time she saw an ant she was sure it was a fire ant. We even ended up with ants in our beds and on our clothes in the closets. My fish learned to eat ants, because they'd climb in the tank and drown.

Glad to hear the baits you put out are working. One other thing that helped me was cinnamon oil...put it across the ant path and they all turn around and go back the other way.

Rhonda19 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:20am
post #14 of 18

We have ants very badly as well. So far though, I haven't seen any inside.....only outside. But they are coming....

Last year after we had someone in to spray, they came back. My sister told me to get those Raid ( I think that's the right brand) baits.... I'll have to double check the brand.

They are small black baits, and they a clear liquid inside of them. I put them all around my kitchen cabinets, and they worked really well last year.

patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:30am
post #15 of 18

Vinegar. You can put out little lids of vinegar or even spray a mixture of it and water in the areas they come in. It will get rid of them. That is why they don't like Windex, the windex with vinegar.
Spray outside where they come in as well and you can pour it on the ground around the foundation of your house. It does help!

By the way it is Apple Cider Vinegar and you need to mix 50/50 with water.

Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #16 of 18

If you have sugar ants, no exterminator in the world will rid your house of them.

If you kill the scout ants (the ones who invade your home, looking for food), the colony will divide!

We tried EVERYTHING but this article was the magic trick. Sugar + water + boric acid = surefire death of the queen and the entire colony. You just have to be patient and let it work.

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/04-27/ant-control-ant-killer-article.htm

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:39am
post #17 of 18

Wanna hear a funny story? A couple years ago I agreed to watch my neice and nephew for a week over summer (in addition to the 4 kids I already had.) Well it was a looooong week and I was approaching the end of my rope.

Fast forward to dinner - I come in from swimming with the kids and the kitchen was invaded with ants. I was almost in tears. I spent over an hour cleaning, etc. disinfecting countertops, etc.

So then I decide to just make pancakes for dinner.... I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I can feed the kids and then they can watch a movie in their bedroom and I can have a glass of wine and relax...... that is until I made their plates and squirted out syrup, which was literally filled with ants.

The pancakes looked like they were chocolate chip (but they were not!)

I totally broke down....

To this day, I get random text messages from my neice and nephew calling me ANTie and asking for pancakes. icon_smile.gif

MegWinn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #18 of 18

LOVE the pancake story!!
I live in Northern California and everyone has ants year round...TERRO is the only poison that the ants will eat AND bring to their Queens and larvae (sorry to be gross!). Spray does nothing but put poison in your house...ants will find their way around the spray. I love "nature" but when it comes to my home I have no mercy or tolerance for non-human entities. icon_smile.gif Good luck getting rid of those pests!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%