How Do I Get Tip #67 To Work

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm by DelectabilityCakes

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 17

I am going to scream!! I cannot get tip 67 to work. the icing keeps seperating as it comes out and I end up with 3 seperate lines! What am I doing wrong????
Please help before I throw it out the window! lol
TIA Ashley

16 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #2 of 17

That's the leaf tip right? Try thinning your frosting with some corn syrup or piping gel

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 17

I use the tip #67 all the time because I like the vein it leaves in the center of the leaf. I do have problems with the icing separating at the tip though.

If you open the tip up a little in the center that helps. Don't open it too much or you will lose the vein. For the leaves which are still resistant and insist on splitting...I always have a rose stick right beside me and I just gently touch one side of the tip of the leaf and it closes right together. I usually make all of my leaves then go over them with the stick, closing up the stubborn ones.

kinicto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinicto Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 17

Look at the points on your tip. If they are extremely close together, you will need to open them up a little. I use a spatula and gently widen the opening.

As an alternative, use tip #352. It works MUCH better. That is the tip I recommend to all of my students.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 17

Personally I hate #67, even when it is opened slightly my leaves look strange. I can do grape leaves with it, but nothing else. I love #352 as well. It is so much easier to use.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 17

I have four of the number 67 tips and can't get any of them to work right. I've opened the end and still it separates. I started using tip 352 and absolutely love that one.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 17

I love the 352, but on the rare occassion that I use 67 I just pinch it closed lightly with my fingers.

luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

I love the 352, but on the rare occassion that I use 67 I just pinch it closed lightly with my fingers.

You do this as you pipe? Or when you finish off the leaf?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #9 of 17

After I've piped the leaf, I pinch the frosting lightly with my fingers at the tip where it separated. But my fav leaf tip is the 352, so unless you need it to be tiny like the 66 or 67 then try that one. it always comes out perfect.

luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

After I've piped the leaf, I pinch the frosting lightly with my fingers at the tip where it separated. But my fav leaf tip is the 352, so unless you need it to be tiny like the 66 or 67 then try that one. it always comes out perfect.

Oh, glad I asked, I was envisioning pinching the piping tip, not the icing it self. I agree 352 is always better.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #11 of 17

hi i had the same problem the leaf came out beautiful, but at the end it seperated in the middle, the girls on the wilton told me to switch to 352 or oh shoot i just went to look and my tips dumped out, but i bought both,

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 17

I have a hard time with the 67 too, even if I open the tip a bit. I also use the 352 now and love it. When I teach classes, I have both tips available, and have found out it's a love/hate thing. You hate one and love the other right off the bat. I'm just glad there are two tips to do leaves or I might have to refuse to do flowered cakes! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #13 of 17

Open it up a lot--at least open it up enough so it doesn't split--then just hold it at more of an up & down, aka perpendicular angle to your surface and it has to make the stem because the tip is cut for that.

Open 'er up--no worries.

It's a great tube for borders too.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 17

Piping gel added to the icing IS the answer. The leaves come out smooth and a perfect tip everytime. It even works with stiff icing when you want the leaves to stand-up.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Piping gel added to the icing IS the answer. The leaves come out smooth and a perfect tip everytime. It even works with stiff icing when you want the leaves to stand-up.

Great info Parable, thanks so much. Gotta give it a try for sure!!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 17

parable, how much piping gel to bc do you need? i too hate that 67 tip but like the look it is SUPPOSED to give (which i never get, lol).
diane

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Great info Parable, thanks so much. Gotta give it a try for sure!!

I'm right there with you. Gotta try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%