Which Serving Chart?

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38am by indydebi

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to do a 50th anniversary cake for a friend of mine (her in-laws actually). She wants it to feed 150 people and doesn't care about shape, round, square, both. In looking at the party servings (according to Wilton) if I used 16/12/8 round that would be 137 servings, same sizes in square would be 148. But if you use the wedding servings chart, the amount is much different, 180 for round and 232 for square. I have always used the party servings in the past, but with it being an "anniversary" cake I wondered if I should be treating it like a wedding cake. Anyone have any opinions?

2 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 3

I personally like to do larger servings. It's an anniversary party, not a wedding, so I would definitely go with the party servings. Wedding slices are so teeny! I like earlene's chart.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

HTH. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 3

Just remember if you normally charge (for example) $3/serving for a wedding serving, then you should charge $4.50/serving for a party serving because a party serving is 50% bigger than a wedding cake serving. Wedding = 1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches; party = 1.5x2x4= 12 cubic inches.

You pay more for a large coke than you do a small coke because you're getting more coke. Same with cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%