Is Tuesday Too Early?

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:14pm by artscallion

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake order for Friday am delivery and Friday consumption. I normally wouldn't bake till Wed, but this week, that won't work out. Will Tuesday be too early to bake for Friday. I could bake tonight and freeze and take back out Thursday. I am planning to use WASC. Thanks.

5 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

I personally think that as long as you refrigerate it, it will be fine. I haven't done any WASC, but just using regular cakes, I bake this far ahead and it's always been fine. HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:59am
post #3 of 6

I've never refrigerated like that (although I think I'll have to try it), but I have definitely frozen cakes for a couple of days. It won't hurt them at all. Just make sure that you pull it out in enough time to thaw (it will take several hours)...or you might run into problems with condensation.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 6

yes, just bake and freeze until you are ready to decorate!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 6

I often bake on Tuesday for Saturday consumption and don't freeze or anything.

Bake tuesday (normally I start baking around 6pm)
Torte and fill on wed, trim and crumb coat, let settle until thursday.
Buttercream or fondant on thursday.
Decorate on Friday and saturday
Deliver on Saturday

That's a normal, 2-4 wedding cake kind of week. If I just have one cake, I make bake on Wednesday, torte and fill on thursday, then fondant/buttercream and decorate on friday/saturday. But, people always tell me they've never had a better cake... it's so moist and delicious...

I'm sure you'll be fine to bake today and serve on friday. For the most part, you only want to leave it uncovered while it cools, then it needs to be wrapped in plastic wrap, or covered in icing, or both.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 6

Since I work during the day, I'm forced to do things ahead and in stages. My standard timeline, say for a cake due on Saturday, is typically to bake and freeze cakes ahead. Take the cake out to thaw Wednesday morning. Wednesday night I'll torte, stack and chill overnight. Thursday night I'll cover in fondant and let sit out overnight so the fondant has time to settle and set and any bubbles or lumps can make themselves known by morning. Friday I deal with any fondant issues and decorate for Saturday morning delivery.

I've never had a cake that tasted any less than fresh. Cake is pretty resiliiant for a few days when its moisture is sealed in with buttercream and/or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%