Need Fondant To Harden Like Gumpaste

Decorating By MomoTyty Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm by MomoTyty

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I live in an area with no cake supply stores so I buy all of my supplies online. I needed black gumpaste but couldn't find any so I bought Satin Ice black fondant. I need to make buildings to stick on the side of a cake. Is there anything that I can add to the fondant so it will dry harder and faster?
Thanks for any help!
Tracie

7 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 8

Tylose powder is the only thing that I know of. Good luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 8

I agree, you can add a little Tylose to the fondant. I have also made fondant pieces without adding anything to them and they dry nice and firm. How long do you have? 3 days of drying should be fine if you are going to be attaching them to the side of the cake. Just use a piece of foam core or cardboard to help support the fondant piece while you attach it to the cake.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:24am
post #4 of 8

if you mix a 1/4 tsp of tylose/CMC/gumtrag, a 1/4 tsp of egg white (i use the dehydrated granulated stuff so it osn't wet) and a 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar into 1/2 kilo of sugar paste/fondant and leave in aplastic wrap overnight you will have gumpaste

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

if you mix a 1/4 tsp of tylose/CMC/gumtrag, a 1/4 tsp of egg white (i use the dehydrated granulated stuff so it osn't wet) and a 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar into 1/2 kilo of sugar paste/fondant and leave in aplastic wrap overnight you will have gumpaste

Jeez,there is so much choice here,thanks for this.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:53am
post #6 of 8

no problemo!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 8

Also if time is short and you can't get tylose in time, gum-tex (Wilton product, if you have a Michael's/JoAnn/etc. nearby) works too. It's not as good as tylose but it definitely does the job.

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all. Hopefully that fondant will get here today....or I think I'm in real trouble!!!!! It is for my son's birthday cake on Saturday but I need to have it done on Friday since we will be traveling. I would prefer the buildings stick up taller than the cake so I think I definitely will need to firm it up more than just drying for 3 days. I will need to try the gum-tex option listed because I can't get tylose powder in time. I really miss living where I can just run up to the nearest cake shop! Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%