Client Unhappy, But It Was Technically Her Fault!?

Decorating By jenmat Updated 23 May 2009 , 2:36am by CakeandDazzle

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 20

So I just got a call from my husband, who works at a hospital. Most of my celebration cake clients come from this hospital, and this client is in charge of the entire OR there. Last week Wed, she called and ordered a car cake, specifying she wanted a 2D cut out cake. I quoted her a price, and she said that was good for her. Then, I asked to make sure she wanted the 2D and not the 3D, which would be much more expensive, and I wouldn't have the time to do it for her (she wanted it for Friday). "Oh, no, 2D will be just fine for me."

So I did the cake like the Wilton cake pans, but just cut it out and detailed the picture on it. It was very cute.
But my husband says she came up to him today all angry because she wanted a "2D cake....like an entire car standing up!" (so she means 3D apparently) What did she think the 3D car was- a car flying through the air? Obviously, she just didn't understand the difference between the two. Now I need to call her and apologize, but how do I politely make it clear that it technically was her fault? Do I give her a refund? This is my first complaint in 3 years, and I'm kind of at a loss here!

19 replies
kiwigirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigirly Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 20

You say you clarified it with her about the 2D or 3D etc, so really it is not your fault. Shame she didn't understand but she obviously didn't want to pay 3D price anyway.

jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 20

I did clarify, but that probably won't matter, and I'm putting off contacting her because I'm afraid I'll either tick her off or end up caving. Either way it can't end well... I just don't want the whole hospital to hear about it, bad news travels faster than good news. But I'm also not prepared to refund a cake that was correctly made per her request!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 20

I would just call her up and say something like, "I'm so sorry that you're upset about your cake! I worked really hard to make it for you. I thought that we had come to an agreement over the phone that it was going to be a 2D cake because a 3D would cost XXX and I wouldn't have been able to make it because I had a prior cake commitment. I'm really sorry that we mis-communicated, but I did ask whether you wanted it to be a 2D/3D a couple of times, and every time you said 2D."

You might say something like, I hope that the cake tasted great. Next time, maybe you should come and see me or email a picture.

Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 20
jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks indydebi- I didn't know how to get the thread out of the general and into the disasters where it probably should have been. I'm still getting this thing!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 20

If she is badmouthing you around the hospital it will only highlight her stupidity so I would let her get on with it! If she is in a position to deny you many orders I would send a note to "apologise" for the misunderstanding and maybe offer a small discount on the next cake - grit your teeth while you write it, it'll be over soon enough icon_wink.gif

BTW what does she do at the hospital? I'm hoping it's not something requiring much brainpower...

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 20

Can you imagine the conversation she would have "badmouthing" you?

"Yeah, so I specifically asked this cake lady for a 2D cake and she gives me a cake that wasn't even sitting up on its four tires like a real car..."

Anyone with half an ounce of brain matter will look at her like a moron and tell her that isn't 2D anyway. Why stress out about it. Maybe this is your chance to enlighten her as to the different dimensions this world has. Whatever you do don't refund anything. She asked for 2D, she got it. She ate the cake so she couldn't have been that disappointed. You cave in to her and before long the hospital will be getting refunds from you.

jenmat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 20

Okay- update-
I just called her and she was still upset- she did want the 3D. I told her I was sorry about the confusion, but that I did ask her about 2D vrs 3D. She couldn't believe the price difference and didn't understand why it was so expensive. uggghh... I didn't ask HER why THEY charge so much for hip replacement surgery! Because that's the price, silly woman!
Then, she basically hung up on me, but I'll put it up to being busy in the OR. Whatever, I did what I could for her. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 20

Well, you did the right thing by calling and talking to her about the situation. Hopefully, she'll forget about it as time goes on. And you can just keep making cakes and taking them to the hospital. Hopefully, everyone there knows you well enough to understand the situation. =o)

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 20

You did the right thing by confronting her with a call, its OVER for you now, just leave her alone. Sometimes misery loves company and she might be one of those. You were right in all you did, you EVEN called her when you didnt want too...you were the bigger person.

If she cant understand the price difference, then Im sure walmart is around the corner for a cake...Im soooo bad! did I say that? *looking around*...nope wasnt me...lol

and if you've done other orders for people at the hospital, Im sure they will go by there experience with you. Good luck!!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #12 of 20

I'm sorry she was spatially challenged and you bore the brunt of her ignorance (and frugality!)... I think you handled it well; this kind of customer agro would have my stomach upset for days icon_sad.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:51am
post #13 of 20

Ok, Tita9499... thumbs_up.gif That would make pretty funny gossip around the lunch table wouldn't it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Second, I agree with cylstrial. If you clarified it and she didn't get the drift of 2D vs 3D, 0-well. It's a good thing our innards aren't 2D vs 3D. It would be a sad outcome for the patients under her care! thumbsdown.gif Stick to your guns! It's not fair for her to one, bad mouth you, and two ask for money back when you two had an agreement! Good luck with the situation!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:14am
post #14 of 20

It sounds like a you did a good job hanlding it. icon_smile.gif

Evoir, I love your avatar!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:22am
post #15 of 20

Oops, meant to say "handling" it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #16 of 20

Aww thanks m1m...she's my "baby", Minky...she's a Tonkinese icon_smile.gif

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #17 of 20

Jentreau, you did absolutely the right thing. I'm sorry your customer was dense like that. Chalk it up to experience. Don't dwell on it (like I would, LOL); just remember all the thousands of other cake customers you have made deliriously happy. I looked at your photos and you are crazy-talented!

cabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabs Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 20

I agree ... you are really crazy talented!!
The more attention she brings to you the more people are going to remember your name and the wonderful taste of the cake.. plus all the past cakes that you did... don't worry , you are still golden there.

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #19 of 20

You did all anyone could ask of you. She wanted 3-d for a cheaper price there are lots of people like her, but more are just looking for a great cake those are the ones who will remember you!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #20 of 20

anyone else wondering why a women who runs an or doesnt know the diff between 2d & 3d? Remind me not to go there for surgery...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%