High Ratio Vs. Regular Shortening

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm by Iva1976

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 26

icon_surprised.gif My question is what is the Difference, Between High Ratio & Shortening.If a Recipe calls for a High Ratio. Can I use Wal-mart Brand Shortening. Instead. Please, Help thumbs_up.gif I was told that, The High Ration Hold up more Liquid & Sugar. It goes on more smoother. So, If I need to make Buttercream. Which, One would you advise for me to use, Thanks for Looking & for your responds, You all have a Good One thumbs_up.gif

25 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 26

The high ratio shortening gives the icing more stability and body. I won't use anything except high ratio.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 26

Can I get an idea of a High Ratio, That I can Purchase in the Supermarket. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 26

Is crisco high ratio?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 26

I don't think there is such a thing. Crisco seems to be the most stable shortening on the store shelves and it is not high ratio.

It is sold in bulk of 50 # from supply places unless you can find a cake supply store that will package it into smaller quantities. Maybe someone else can help you with this. I buy it about 500 - 600 pounds at a time!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 26

I just bought my first order of hi ratio shortening and I can actually tell a difference in the creaminess of my icings. I don't know if I can go back to regular shortening now, even though it costs twice as much to buy hi ratio. I'm really liking the new taste.

In another thread I think they said that hi ratio includes an emulsifier that helps it combine better with the liquids (since oil and water don't mix) so it won't tend to seperate or be grainy.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #7 of 26

and BTW I hate Crisco...ick...I use store brand shortening if not hi ratio.

luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

and BTW I hate Crisco...ick...I use store brand shortening if not hi ratio.

Why? I haven't tried a store brand, so I have no comparison. What do you like better about the store brand? I have been using the convenient sticks that crisco comes in and like that because it saves on mess, but if other brands offer a better outcome I will have to give them a try.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #9 of 26

you can get 3 lb tubs from CK or possibly your local cake supply store. It is very expensive but well worth the price. Crisco's new non-trans fat formula sucks for BC icing. It makes it too soft now.

Not sure if Global Sugar Art sells it but they might.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #10 of 26

I had trouble in the past with Crisco giving my icing a chemical taste...and that was even before all the trans fat stuff.

The store brands are slightly softer but they never make my icing taste yucky and they usually have trans fat in them.

The hi ratio has given my icing a step up...I ordered a set of 6 CK tubs online....yeah expensive but hey just make sure you are still profiting from your cakes and it does improve the icing.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #11 of 26

just spotted this thread and i had the same question, i've been using crisco also and am still not quite satisfied in my results...i can't find high ratio shortening anywhere in las vegas.

Kitagrl, which store brand would you suggest if not using crisco?

luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

you can get 3 lb tubs from CK or possibly your local cake supply store. It is very expensive but well worth the price. Crisco's new non-trans fat formula sucks for BC icing. It makes it too soft now.

Not sure if sells it but they might.

I hate the whole "non trans fat" thing. If I am eating cake, I expect trans fat...It tastes the best! I understand that we should try to eat smart and yada, yada...but every now and then ya gotta have some transfat!

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #13 of 26

While we are on this topic, I've been looking to try the hi ratio shortening (so I can try sugarshack's buttercream recipe) but my local cake supplies store only carries the CK brand not Sweetex. Does it make a difference what brand of hi ratio shortening you use?

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 26

preciosa225
CK is the only hi ratio shortening I can get around my area and it is great product. IMHO

Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #15 of 26

I use pretty much any store brand except I really don't like the Walmart brand too much. Some stores carry a little more white/firm types than others...you have to see what your local stores carry and what you like best.

My bakery supply place seemed to be partial to the way Sweetex was but the CK brand seems fine, its definitely an improvement on regular shortening. Tons of trans fat in it too. haha.

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #16 of 26

Oh great, thanks! Now I will go and buy some tomorrow! I've been on a hunt for the sweetex all this time. I find it online but I didn't want to pay for the shipping or buy a large quantity until I try it (in case I don't like it). icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again! (Now I can't wait until tomorrow..LOL)

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #17 of 26

The hi-ratio stuff I use is PS99. My local cake store sells it in 5 pound "bricks".

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #18 of 26

I used to use Walmart brand for a while and couldn't get it to look so creamy and smooth, not even with Crsico no matter what I did. But I bought some of the high ratio and I LLLOOOVVEE it, it does make a difference but I hate the greasy feel when you wash your stuff, but you really should try. I found some on the Stover Co. who sells wholesale price good too, but as with anything that heavy shipping is a bit much. I just can't find it anywhere around me so I had to order online. But I know you'll like working with it.

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #19 of 26

I bought a 3 pound tub of Hi-ratio at my local cake decorating store. I think it was $11. I can really taste the difference and like it much better (which isn't necessarily a good thing icon_biggrin.gif). My friend, who also considers herself a frosting "snob", said she noticed a difference with the hi-ratio. I won't go back to regular shortening unless it's a real emergency.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #20 of 26

If you live in or near the Nashville, TN area you can get the CK brand High Ratio shortening at Sweet Wise. (www.sweetwise.com) I don't remember the price off hand but you can always e-mail them and ask before you make a trip out there.

scottiemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scottiemommy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #21 of 26

I've used the CK and was able to beg and plead icon_biggrin.gif my local cake supply shop to order it. Although, if you need to order it on line, the best place I've found for a 3 lb. tub, with shipping charges is countrykitchensa.com.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #22 of 26

If you dont have supply stores around I have seen it on (all one word) Fondant source. com when I have purchased things on that site, if you buy anything there you can get 10% off too if you want, use coupon code at checkout "cakecentral"
I havent had to purchase it online becuase I have a cake supply store locally... good luck icon_cool.gif

culinarykris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarykris Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #23 of 26

I have used both. I have even mixed buttercream that has been made with high ratio and regular shortning. Personally... the high ratio tends to leave a "less greasy" feel in the mouth .. but other than that.. I really haven't noticed THAT big of a difference. For me.. the cost is about the same so I tend to buy the high ratio but would have no problem using the other.

arianamaniacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianamaniacs Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #24 of 26

I was asked to do the wedding cake for my niece this summer. I really want to try out the hi-ratio shortening, does anyone know of any suppliers in Europe? I tried buying it on amazon for example, the product was $6 and the shipping was $40....

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #25 of 26

You will see a difference! icon_wink.gif

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #26 of 26

What kind of shelf life does hi-ratio have?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%