Oh My Goodness....its Just Not Working>>>Gggrrrr!!!

Decorating By Puppylove Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 1:48am by Justbeck101

Puppylove Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 15

I am desperately trying ice my 3D Elmo cake with a grass tip #233 and no matter how I work it, its just not looking like fur to me. Are there any tips on how to use this particular icing tip? I am at the point that I want to SMASH icon_mad.gif this cake...lol. Its a good thing this is only practice one and the real one is not due til May 16th for my daughter's first birthday. Perhaps I should just go with another way of doing Elmo. Please help with any advice you all may have to save poor Elmo. Thanks in advance for your help.

14 replies
lillielu Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know what kind of icing you're using; but if its too thin it won't work. Try thickening it up a little bit. Hope that helps.

Puppylove Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 15

THanks, I am using a thicker Royal Icing...trust me my hand hurts...lol. What seems to be the problem is the fur either doesn't want to stick to the cake at times and the other problem I have in trying to keep the fur shorter the icing still pulls out long...if that makes any sense. I'd post a picture but it doesn't give the true effect. IDK perhaps I am just not meant to use this tip.

CNCS Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 15

You are using RI?
I only use med/thick butter cream.

Puppylove Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 15

Sorry I meant Buttercream icon_redface.gif . I thinks its really my inexperience with this type of tip. I just thought someone may have another way they could tell me to do this so I can get the fur effect.

poohsmomma Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 15

If it's hurting your hand, I would think it's too thick.

classiccake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #7 of 15

If the icing is really thick, it could also make it harder to stick to the cake. You can put a thin crumb coat of icing on the bear and that might help it adhere.

Short fur, quick squeeze and pull. Long fur, harder squeeeze and longer pull.

clovely Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 15

Maybe it would stick, and be easier, if it was thinner. A crumb coat would probably help too. I think that tip should be perfect for what you're trying to do. I gotta to buy one - mine ended up in the garbage disposal the other day. Hate when that happens!

KitchenKat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #9 of 15

If your frosting is clumping up it could also be that the heat from your hands is melting the bc. I normally use 2 small piping bags so I can switch as soon as the bc comes out "fat" and squooshy instead of furry.

sugarshack Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #10 of 15

i use a star tip for my elmo's and pull them out a bit, makes nice fur

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:05am
post #11 of 15

Remember Norm Davis trying to make fur on that HUMONGOUS blue monster on Cake Challenge? He practically broke his wrist piping all that fur!

Puppylove Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #12 of 15

Its funny that you bring him up as I was thinking about him today. THinking about how easy he made it look. I guess practice with make perfect. It is why I tried this cake out 3 weeks before her birthday so I could hopefully get it right. THanks for all the advice I will be taking it into account when I get back to practicing tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif

karolleca Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 15

I used this tip for cupcakes at Easter and I found that using it like a star tip and pulling out worked like a charm. I used room temp buttercream. Good luck!

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 15

Also, if while you are squeezing it out you let it build up a little bit on the cake before pulling away, it may stick better to the cake.

Justbeck101 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #15 of 15

I think your icing is too thick. It should just be enough to where it stands. I think about medium. It will stick better. Touch, squeeze pull, stop squeezing, pull away

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%