Catttails

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 12:43am by jlkallred

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 13

I'm wanting to add cattails to a frog cake I'm doing for my great-nephew and can't figure out how! I plan on using candy clay for the frogs and lily pads, and tho't I'd do the cattails w/ it as well. I can't figure out about the stems, tho. Any suggestions?
thanks!!

12 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 13

hi, i made cattails a couple of times, one of the examples is in my photos. i used skewers and used food markers to color them green, made a hot dog or cattail shaped thing out of fondant and stuck the skewer into the fondant. of course this made large cattails. if you are looking for something smaller i bet you could use the same ideas with a piece f dried spaghetti dyed green and a much smaller cattail made out of whatever you want.

jodei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodei Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 13

I made cattails once and didn't need them to be very big so I used toothpicks. I didn't color them but no one seemed to notice or care. Hth

jlkallred Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 13

Good ideas! Thanks!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 13

I made some with spaghetti - they were smallish though... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=545103

jlkallred Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 13

very cute!! thanks so much!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 13

In my photos there is a shot of a duck with deer antlers. The cat tails are brown fondant with a small piece of pasta stuck in the end and fondant leaves. I hope this helps.

jlkallred Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 13

Wish I could see a pic of that duck...bet that's cute! Thanks for the idea, too!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 13

just go to the bottom of my post and click where it says photos. He is about half way down the page.

paintedlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintedlady Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #10 of 13

im not sure if you want the cattails to stand up like flowers but when i made them i used floral wire and covered it with lite green floral tape and then put my fondant cattail on that hope this helps

jlkallred Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions! I loved looking at your pics.....y'all are very gifted!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I made some with spaghetti - they were smallish though... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=545103

I am making a cake today (Due Tomorrow) And I did make cattails out of spagetti...I put them in the cake today....Will they get soft and soggy overnight? Should I pull them out here they are
LL

jlkallred Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #13 of 13

I used speghetti and they were in the cake for about 24 hrs. They Were fine, but you may want to have extras just in case. Loved your pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%