Cookies On A Stick

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm by tyty

kimmyboo925 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 14

How do I put the cookies on the stick.. Maybe a stupid question.. I dont want to use candy melts.. I wanted it to look clean.. I am applying fondant to them so they may become heavy. I have thick sticks... Anyone have any suggestions????

13 replies
imamommy1205 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 14

Hmm..I have never done it before, but have been thinking about it too. If you are using sticks made of wood, could you stick them in the cookie before its cooked and bake it all together. I dont know though.

I would like some tips on this too icon_smile.gif.

aggiechef Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 14

I've used the Wilton cookie sticks before and just inserted them in the cookie before I bake it. They won't burn and they hold really well. I decorated my cookies with fondant and RI afterwards. Take a look at the train cookies in my pictures.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 14

I have used the Wilton sticks and the wooden dowels before and I just coat the top with chocolate or with royal icing. Then right when they come out of the oven I insert the stick into the cookie and whatever comes out on the sides of the cookie I jsut wipe right off witth a napkin. I've never had a mess or cookeis that don't stick.

tammy712 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 14

When I did mine I rolled my cookie dough thicker then usual, did my cut outs and inserted the lollipop sticks in before baking.
Just do what is easiest for you. Insert before or after baking.
Have fun. HTH

cricket0616 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 14

I use the wilton dowels. I place them on the cookie before I bake. They don't burn and hold well. I just did a cookie "birthday" bouquet this weekend. If interested look under my photos.

lainalee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 14

As the prevouis post state, insert before baking. Also, roll out thicker dough if you are using the thick wilton sticks. When they come out of the over, just flatten the face of the cookie with a spatula so you have a nice flat top to decorate. Don't handle the stick of the baked cookie until completely cooled. HTH

bbmom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 14

I've tried several methods, I always use wooden skewers(.97cents for 100 at walmart)
I have rolled my cookies fairly thick and inserted before baking, a variation of this is on cakejournal...
I have used the directions from cakejournal http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cookie-lolly,
I have used royal icing to "glue" the stick to the back after decorating, and finally
I found several threads here about glueing the stick to your cookie bag with hot glue.
They all work. I think the nicest presentation is the stick inserted before baking, I also like it because I can easily pick up the cookie while decorating and not get any fingerprints in freshly piped icing, the drawback, I can only get about 8 cookies on a sheet due to the sticks, so it takes forever to bake all the cookies and it takes longer to get the stick inserted so it doesnt tear your dough.
The easiest method imo is to just ri the stick to the back, I pipe it on in a neat line, lay the stick on, then pipe another line ontop and smossh it down. Looks neat, stays on, no one sees it when its in the bouquet anyway. To me the bag glueing worked but was an extra step I didnt enjoy.

bbmom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 14

I've tried several methods, I always use wooden skewers(.97cents for 100 at walmart)
I have rolled my cookies fairly thick and inserted before baking, a variation of this is on cakejournal...
I have used the directions from cakejournal http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cookie-lolly,
I have used royal icing to "glue" the stick to the back after decorating, and finally
I found several threads here about glueing the stick to your cookie bag with hot glue.
They all work. I think the nicest presentation is the stick inserted before baking, I also like it because I can easily pick up the cookie while decorating and not get any fingerprints in freshly piped icing, the drawback, I can only get about 8 cookies on a sheet due to the sticks, so it takes forever to bake all the cookies and it takes longer to get the stick inserted so it doesnt tear your dough.
The easiest method imo is to just ri the stick to the back, I pipe it on in a neat line, lay the stick on, then pipe another line ontop and smossh it down. Looks neat, stays on, no one sees it when its in the bouquet anyway. To me the bag glueing worked but was an extra step I didnt enjoy.

kimmyboo925 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 14

OK.. thank you for all your advice.. now I did them and I actually inserted the sticks when they came out of the oven. Now some popped out the backs.. You think royal icing will hide the sticks and keep them up?

cricket0616 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 14

I had a similar issue when I put the sticks in after I baked. They just did not hold well. (Not saying that others did not have better luck). You should be able to put royal icing on it and let the sit several hours and they should hold. (it does depend on how heavy of a cookie you have).

michellesArt Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 14

with mine i've used both skewer type wooden sticks and the wilton pops-i like the skewers because the tip is sharp- roll out the cookie thicker than usual (though i prefer thick cookies) when inserting the stick (pointed end first) slowly twist/turn the stick i don't usually have a prob. as for how many you can bake on a sheet at a time alternate stick up/down so you can fit more on the sheet (i LOVE the flat cookie sheets-dh bought me some and i don't use any other kind now) if you do happen to break or crack through the back a bit flip the cookie over, take a bit of dough and flatten it over the spot (becomes the back of the cookie and still bakes nicely) viola!! don't give up you'll find the right method for you- there are a lot of great suggestions here to choose from icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 14

ps on a side is anyone else missing all the cake pics? you know most popular new today? am i having issues? thanks

tyty Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #14 of 14

I like to put the sticks in before baking. Never had a problem. I don't like the cookies too thick so I use Wilton lollipop sticks. Never had a problem with the sticks coming out or being loose. I never handle the cookies by the sticks untill they are being packaged or placed in a container. For cookie bouquets and individual cookies, I pack them up, ride the train to work and don't have any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%