Swine Flu...just Got Back From Mexico

Lounge By mocakes Updated 1 May 2009 , 5:03pm by mbelgard

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 16

DH and I went to Mexico last week with his company. Got home and heard all the hoop-la about this Swine Flu. Never saw anyone in a mask or anything.

I work with my husband at his office and we opened an email last night that told us to work from home today. His home office said that to just be safe we should give it another day. YIKES!

We're both feeling fine and talked to other employees that were on the trip with us and so far we're all flu-free!

Scary!

15 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 16

whoa, that's not what you want to hear when you get back from a trip. icon_surprised.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 16

in the uk we have NO confirmed cases of swine flu. however, whats the news papers headlines? 'swine flu strikes the uk' as if we have lots of confirmed cases. i think theres 2 people getting tested in scotland, and a couple in england.
of course, i hope you stay fine!
xx

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 16

Here in Canada there was at least 5 cases reported in Nova Scotia.They say it can be quite deadly but no one here is that severe..Yet!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 16

hope you all stay healthy! Someone my dh works with is in mexico right now, but she works on the floor and those people are laid off this week, so hopefully she will get checked out before she comes back to work ... I'm the kind of person who hears about something and then catches it ... ick!!!!!

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Here in Canada there was at least 5 cases reported in Nova Scotia.They say it can be quite deadly but no one here is that severe..Yet!!

I live about 30 minutes from the area that has the cases. It sounds like the count is going to go up since they opened a clinic for flu screening.

I'm washing my poor dry hands even more than usual.

The grocery store I shop in has wipes for the carts, in the past I hardly ever see anyone using them (except me of course). Yesterday there was a line up at the dispenser.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 16

I was scared about this flu for about five seconds. That is until I read an article that stated there were like 36,000 deaths last year from the regular ol' flu. I would have never thought. Puts the swine flu into perspective imo.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 16

They've got cases of swine flu about 15 miles from where I live. I'm a little nervous about it. I canceled my dr's appointment yesterday so the kids and I wouldn't have to sit around a room of sick people and the receptionist said they'd had lots of cancellations.

I'm going to go buy some herbal meds for it today, just to be prepared.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 16

The first reported death from the swine flu here in Texas was a 23 month old baby who just got back from a vacay in Mexico. Just mere hours from us.

I teach 5 cake classes a week, including some Mexicans who just got back from Mexico, and am sending anyone home who so much as sneezes! I'm not quite to the point of wearing a surgical mask, but I sure will if I have to.

Tamiflu needs to be administered within 48 hours of the first sign or symptom appearing.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 16

Very scary stuff. I'm supposed to be flying out to Houston in a couple of weeks with my 1 yr old but I'm not sure now. We're moving out there in June and I have to come out to find us a place. I'm not so worried about myself it's my little guy. You know how they love putting everything in their mouth!

I feel really sad about the Mexican toddler that was visiting Texas that died. I was reading in the news that his family and him were visiting Brownsville, TX from Mexico city and that they were also in the Galleria Mall in Houston the day before his symptoms appeared.

Hopefully the officials can get everything under control soon.

OP, I hope all is well with yourself, your dh and all the other employees that just visited Mexico.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #11 of 16

Xstitcher I wouldn't take your baby with you. Just like any flu babies and the elderly should be kept away from potential infections.

I also read that the masks really don't keep you from getting sick. They actually should be worn by the ill, because it keeps their germs to themselves.

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'm supposed to be flying out to Houston in a couple of weeks with my 1 yr old but I'm not sure now. We're moving out there in June and I have to come out to find us a place.

Hey! We could be neighbors! Check out Pearland and the Clear Lake areas for homes. We've got some great cake shops in Houston too. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:05am
post #13 of 16

Will do Sherri, can't wait to get there. I'm so looking forward to having places to shop! Maybe we'll get the chance to play cake together. icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:08am
post #14 of 16

That would be awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 16

I think it's right to beconcered about this, but not to panic. Flu can be serious, but I think the media are loving whipping this up because everyone's bored of hearing bad news about the ECONOMY, so, hey - here's some DIFFERENT bad news to liven things up!!

To OP, wow - way to feel like a leper! Was it a beach vacation? The way I'm understanding it, the outbreak is mainly in Mexico City, away from the beach resorts. Anyway, I hope you're fine. BTW In my city, there are apparantly several cases, but none of the people are even sick enough to be hospitalized.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

I think it's right to beconcered about this, but not to panic. Flu can be serious, but I think the media are loving whipping this up because everyone's bored of hearing bad news about the ECONOMY, so, hey - here's some DIFFERENT bad news to liven things up!!

The media doesn't help but they are playing toward a certain segment because there are people who LOVE to get worked up about stuff. My MIL is one of those people and I'm avoiding her as much as possible until the panic is over. icon_lol.gif

I am hoping that the family members I have who fall into risk catagories for illnesses don't get it but I'm not terribly concerned in general. The most we can do is stuff we should be doing anyway like washing our hands often, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%