If You Have An "at Home" Commerical Kitchen Space.

Business By FromScratch Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 1:02am by FromScratch

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 11

Hello... I am in the process of getting all of my ducks in a row to convert my garage into a commerical kitchen. I am waiting to hear from the town about zoning and I am also waiting on some questions for the HD. I figured since there are many here who have commerical spaces on their property that you might be able to help this lady who hates to wait... icon_lol.gif

I have a question regarding the need for a bathroom in the kitchen. Since there will be no customers coming into my bakery, will I need to put a bathroom in there? I am tired of waiting for return phone calls to questions. I am such a planner and I want to start a floor plan so I can send it int to be reviewed.

Anyway... thanks for any help you can offer. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
sweetcakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 11

mine did not require a bathroom (in or off of) the kitchen. I go back into my house to use the bathroom. My kitchen had to have a hand sink. I think there would be good argument not to have a bathroom off of the kitchen, just opening the door into the kitchen from a bathroom imho is disgusting.

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much for your response. This is my thinking too... I will have a hand sink and a 3 bay sink and a prep sink as required... I just hate to have to eat up valuable space with a nasty potty in my kitchen... icon_lol.gif

jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 11

I too was not required to have a bathroom. As long as it is not a store front where you have random customers, I think the Federal Mandates (which trumph states) do not require it.
Good Luck! I did it last year, and have not regretted it!

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 11

Oh this is good to hear. Makes life a LOT easier.

pish Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 11

Yep, no bathroom here either. It actually made it easier on our inspection according to our inspector because that was one less thing that had to be up to code and within state regulations.

However, my kitchen is detached from the hour and about 1000 feet from my house. Trudging thru 4 feet of snow in arctic temperatures made me reevaluate my liquid intake icon_biggrin.gif

jenmat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 11

ha ha! even when its upstairs it just seems like to long a trek!

FromScratch Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 11

LOL... true. At least my door will be off of my front porch which is covered. I am glad to hear that I most likely won't have to plumb in a bathroom along with all of the other crap. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Laura102777 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 11

Where I live I was told that no bathroom was required unless I had dine-in space for more than 12 people.

Cascades Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #10 of 11

I live on Ca and yes I had to have a bathroom. I am glad I have it though.
It is really convenient.

FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #11 of 11

I just got the official word that a bathroom is not required since there will be no customers in my kitchen. Now just to hear back from the town if I can even put it in... ahhhh small towns. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%