Question - Fondant Appliques

Decorating By cupcakemkr Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm by PinkZiab

cupcakemkr Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Fondant Pros!

Hoping you can help me find the instructions I saw here a few months back on how to do fondant appliques where you take a photo and then cut out sections at a time they lay them on top of one another to recreate the image kind of 2Dish.

or maybe it was puzzle like, cutting out the pieces and then inserting them into each other like a puzzle. I can't remember.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
PinkZiab Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 2

I've never seen the directions on here, but I did the bert & ernie cake in my photos this way. I just printed out a few copies of the pic, and cut out the shapes from the paper (if you can print them on card stock, even better... it makes them sturdier and easier to cut around). For B&E I cut out their whole silhouette, and then separated their heads from their bodies and cut those out individually, then from another copy, I cut out their features (hair, eyes, nose, mouth, parts to shirt, etc) and just assembled them (using water to "glue" ) to match the pic (keep the pieces under plastic wrap as you're cutting, so they don't dry out). I just did it sort of a combination of puzzle and layering. The backing to their shirts is a solid piece of white cut into the shape with the stripes and details laid over. Their heads were cut to fit up against the neckline, and then their facial features layered over it. I also, initially, made the plaque in the shape of the sesame street sign and built the characters on top of that. Here is the original pic I used for inspiration:

Quote by @%username% on %date%