Question About Pricing

Decorating By mieyo Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm by CNCS

mieyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mieyo Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry to bother you all with this, I'm sure it must have been asked at least a few thousand times, but do you (or should you) differ in pricing between sheet cakes and other, "nicer looking cakes"? I feel like I still sell myself short doing most cakes for between $1-$2 per serving, but when approached about a graduation party sheet cake (the guy specifically requested a sheet cake) for "between 50-75 kids," I thought it best to go with a half sheet.

After running the numbers in my head, I came up with 108 wedding cake-sized servings for this thing, and at $1 per serving, it both sounded like a lot of money to ask (for a not very extravagant-looking cake), and like not very much for all the work I'd have to do -- Not to mention the supplies. I can't seem to find cake boards for half-sheet cakes, so I'm going to have to make one out of foam board ($3 at Michael's), and cover it with something ($3-$4 for foil wrapping paper), etc., etc.

I go to church with this guy, and I don't want him to feel like I'm gouging him, but at the same time, I think people in my area just don't realize that I'm not Wal-mart, and can't sell them a cake for a competitive price. Has anybody else had problems like this? What did you do about it?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 4

I have sheet cakes and all-other-cakes. Sheet cakes are defined as "single layer, 2" tall, no filling, iced and simply decorated". All other cakes are defined as "anything that doesnt' qualify under the sheet cake definition."

So if someone wants a 2-layer, with filling, then it's no longer a sheet cake.

And regardless of whether it's "just a sheet cake" or not, $1/serving is kinda low.

Quote:
Quote:

I go to church with this guy, and I don't want him to feel like I'm gouging him, but at the same time, I think people in my area just don't realize that I'm not Wal-mart

(big sigh!) Just because you're selling them for higher than walmart, DOESN'T mean you're "gouging" them! Stop thinking like that or I'll get my mom-finger going really hard and fast at you, young lady! icon_twisted.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 4

it cant hurt to throw in what makes you special. that hand made, fresh, scratch?, basic great vanilla flavour, special gourmet flavoured, loving crafted....cake. obviously its custom work, but add in the other things that make you better! the implicit hint will be that it makes it worth paying more for.
xx

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 4

I always ask what is their budget and work off that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%