Bow Making 101

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm by tonedna

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 10

I need help. I have tried to make fondant bows for two cakes now and both times the loops crack or break when I try to put it together. I try to make sure that I work quickly when making the loop to prevent them from cracking as they dry. I normally let the loop sit two days before I try to move them. Please tell me what I am doing wrong!!

9 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 10

Don't know how the humidity is where you live, but I cannot make anything from just fondant that will hold up. I use gumpaste for 3-D items that need to hold their shape. Try at least adding tylose or Wilton's Gumtex or 50% pre-made gumpaste to your fondant for strength.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 10

I have never used gumpaste. I am assuming it is in a paste form and you just mix the two together?

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I have never used gumpaste. I am assuming it is in a paste form and you just mix the two together?

You can buy premade which is similar in texture to fondant or you can buy it in a powdered form that you mix with water to form the paste.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 10

ibmoser: Just out of curiosit, how much tylose would you add??

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 10

forgot to add...yes you blend the two (gumpaste & fondant) together

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 10

gumpaste has the consistency of play-do, dries quicker and harder than fondant, you can buy it at a craft store already made or you can make it yourself, which is super easy i use nicholas lodge's recipe it's here on CC, http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2142-0-Gumpaste.html works great for me and i live in south TX where it gets pretty humid. also you could just add tylose to your fondant and get somewhat the same effect, HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 10

Hi, I add tylose to my fondant and let it dry for a couple of days. You dont have to add to much because then it will dry out very quickly and the fondant will start cracking while you are working with it. I kind of just eyeball it. Also when I am putting the bow together I make a kind of glue out of fondant, water and tylose. I take a ball of fondant and put just a tad of water. I mix it together with my fingers and then when I add a little bit of tylose. I use this to "glue" loops together. This makes the bow dry faster and more sturdier I think. Also Im not sure if everybody does this but will im assembling the bow I put pieces of paper towels between the loops so that the weight is not directly on each loop. Its kind of being held up in the air. If the weight is from loop to loop then that will make the very bottom loops break.... I think. I attached a pic of a bow Ive done to see if you can better understand my tips. I hope I made sense. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladysrdz24

Also Im not sure if everybody does this but will im assembling the bow I put pieces of paper towels between the loops so that the weight is not directly on each loop.

I do the same except i use rolled up parchment or wax paper instead of paper towels. Very nice bow btw! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 10

If you are having problems with humidity, use lots of tylose to make it dry faster, or go all the way gumpaste.. I live in a humid climate and it works well.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%