Canadian Bakers: Have You Used/tried

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm by Carson

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

the cake mix that is available at Bulk Barn? Just wondering if it is more cost effective to buy it in bulk verus store box mix?
Was it easy to use? How did it taste compared to box mix (DH, BC).

Any info would be great.

TIA icon_smile.gif

6 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I could help you, but there is no Bulk Barn anywhere near me!!!
I miss Bulk Barn.....

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7

Traditionally the bulk mixes are very dry....Most of the grocery stores here use bulk mixes and we all know what they taste like...having said that....I use Betty Crocker all the time.I started using them many years ago and that's what I like.Many people will dispute the box verses scratch method but that is a different topic for another thread.I buy my mixes on sale when they are 10 for $10.00 or 2 for $3.00...I get the grocery manager to order me 4 or 5 cases at a time.I don't know what the bulk bag would be in price but if it is anything like the prices in the past 3 years which is going up...they probably aren't that cheap anymore and by the time you add the water,oil etc...to the bulk mix..it may not be such a good deal.

JMO icon_wink.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 7

On the same topic, I was thinking of ordering the bulk mix from Dawn Foods. Do you think it would be the same as the Bulk Barn mix? I'm super happy with DH so I'm afraid to buy a 50lb bag of something that will end up being dry! TIH

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 7

Hmmm don't know. I didn't even realize they carried bulk cake mixes. I'm interested to find out too.
I use betty crocker and if lucky can find it on sale for 1.00 and that's when i stock up.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 7

Some of my students have used the BB mix and really like it. It's different from box mixes in that you apparently only add water.

Like Kiddiekakes I stock up on box mixes when they go on sale for $1.00 each.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 7

Great question...I was wondering the exact same thing. Unfortunately you can only get 2 different kinds of mix - white or chocolate. I was thinking of buying a small quantity and trying a cake out - family and co-workers are always willing to try something for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%