Help...i Need An Open Book Pan!!

Decorating By Lisaa1996 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm by julzs71

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I was asked to make an open book cake for this Sat. but I can't find a pan anywhere. Does anyone know of a good online site that is reasonable and ships fast?
Thanks!

7 replies
Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know about pans but at the bakery I work at we just cut a wedge down the center of the cake, pile it up on the sides by the cut and cover with icing till it looks like an open book. Not hard once you get the hang of it and you can make a book from any sheet size cake and not have to buy extra pans.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? They may sell the pans.

Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe I can try that to save myself some money...any ideas on how to do a small cross? I was going to try and find a candy mold and do one out of chocolate but I'm not having much luck finding those either.
Thanks for you help!

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 8

Just pipe a cross out of icing onto the cake. Use about a half inch plain round tip and practice with pressure how much to squeeze out. Tilt the tip some so it kinda comes out flat instead of rounded. A lot of cakes for baptisms get a cross on them at the bakery. We usually do a light egg yellow for gold color.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 8

I've made a cross by finding a template online, cutting it out, and laying it on fondant. Then I cut around the template, and embelished with the Wilton punch fondant thing (I can't remember what it's called!)

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=965403
you can kind of see it on the middle cake in this pic. Please forgive the cakes- I made these right after I learned to decorate!

Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 8

I appreciate this help so much you guys! I am so glad I joined CC icon_smile.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 8

I have one that I want to get rid of. If you pay for shipping I will send it to you. It's in my garage sale stuff.
If you want you could just put two rect. pans together and then carve them. It would be really simple.
Just pm me if you want the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%