Does Anyone Have A Good Roll-Out Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm by aej6

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 40

Alas, I have tried two roll-out Lemon Cookie recipes and they were not too spiffy. Does anyone a good recipe they are willing to share? Any help from my fellow cookiers would be much appreciated!

39 replies
kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 40

ooh ooh ooh i want one too!!!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 40

Why can't you use a regular sugar cookie recipe - swap out the vanilla for a lemon emulsion ( I get my from CK) and add some grated lemon rind for extra punch? I do this with my favorite sugar cookie recipe.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 40

I tried the cream cheese sugar cookie recipe on here and added Lemon oil (Lorann's oils). The were delish and easy to work with. (Much easier that NFSC for me). HTH

TracyLH Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 40

Dawn You are funny! I can just see you raising your hand, up and down!

Christeena Thanks! I havent used emulsions before, just extracts. This sounds good! Approximately how much grated lemon do you recommend (for about 6 cups of flour)? I am flying through butter (eek!) and it would be great to at least get close to what would be good. Thanks for your help!

Alanaj Thanks as well! I thought oils were just for candy. icon_redface.gif You can tell I have only worked with extracts. icon_rolleyes.gif Sounds good and it is all natural, which is great! How much do you use for the recipe?

Also, I found two Cream Cheese cookie recipes here on CC. Which is the one you like?:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7462-0-Best-Ever-Cream-Cheese-Sugar-Cookies.html
or
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2120-1-Cream-cheese-sugar-cookies.html

Lastly, I have not done a cream cheese cookie. How long do you find that they last? I will be shipping them.

Thanks for your help, ladies! icon_biggrin.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 40

Tracy,

In my humble opinion, emulsions have a richer flavor and blend more easily with the dough. I usually add the grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 tsp. lemon emulsion to my sugar cookie recipe. I believe cream cheese cookies are more fragile so I'm not sure about shipping them. By the way, I just love your cookie designs! You rock in cookiedom!!

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 40

Tracy-

I used LorAnne's lemon emulsion the other day in my sugar cookie batter (similar to NFSC but a little different) and it was AMAZING! It's not all natural and has a few things in the ingredient list that I can't pronounce, but it's really worth it IMO. I used 1 tsp and it has a really rich, creamy lemon flavor. Very fragrant. However, I have never used lemon extract or oil so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I know we touched on this before, but I'm hesitant to use it because I want to advertise my cookies as "all natural" and I think this has some wierd stuff in it. I mean, no different than anything that's in Doritos I'm sure, but still, I don't know if I can label it all natural.

I'm considering changing all of that though just so I can use this emulsion, it was that good. I can't believe 1 tsp flavored a whole batch of dough, and it's a recipe with 5.5 cups of flour and 3 sticks of butter, not a small batch!

Also, I thought someone had mentioned here once that putting citrus zest in a recipe leaves little dark marks where it cooked. Not a big deal really, but I like the smooth white color of my cooked dough. I think they also mentioned that they put the zest in with the sugar and let it sit and then sift it out so the sugar is flavored. Don't remember who started that post or what it was all about.

Heidi.

TracyLH Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 40

Christeena I called my local cake supply shop as they are always in the know and they said the same thing about emulsions and when I called CK they said the emulsions incorporate better into dough than the oil. Emulsions sound like they work well, but I have just been trying to keep them all-natural, so that is discouraging. However, I can see the benefit though, especially with trying to add more flavor to a Vanilla Sugar Cookie, which as we all know, can be a challenge in balancing flavor and having the dough keep its shape. Thanks SO much about the word on the cream cheese recipe and it being a bit fragile. All of this information really helps me! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Heidi Okay, you are doing a switch! I know you and I were both trying to keep our cookies all-natural, so it must be good for you to do that. So true about Doritos! icon_lol.gif Thanks also about passing on the info that the zest can leave little dark marks. Interesting. Excellent point about putting sugar in with the zest! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I will give this a whirl. I am planning to try that same idea with vanilla seed pods to try to flavor my sugar for my Vanilla Sugar Cookie recipe.

I called our local cake shop today about these issues and she recommended creaming the zest with the butter, rather than adding it at the end. If I do that and combine your idea to make lemon sugar, add in some lemon flavoring, I could be all set! Luckily, my sons English class is clamoring for cookies as I have some work to do!

TracyLH Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 40

Heidi - I just found the posting you were talking about with the dark specks from lime zest. It was posted by Drakegore and has some really great info posted by her and others as they discussed the zest (for example - "stirring it in with the sugar in your recipe. store it a lidded container for 24 hours, giving it the occasional vigorous shake.") Here it is, if you want to see it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625193-lemon.html+cookie

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 40

I have recently made Martha Stewart's Citrus sugar cookies and they are absolutely the best, however they are not a roll out cookie.

They use lemon oil, lime oil and orange oil along with the same zests. They have such a great flavor! The recipe called for drops of the oils.

I think you could easily substitue the oils and zests for the extract in any sugar cookie. You just have to be careful with the oils, a little goes a long way.

When these cookies where in the cookie jar, you could smell them when the lid was lifted! And the taste, OMG!

I'm going to experiment with the NFSC soon. I have done them with lemon extract and zest and they were good, but I think the oil will be better.

TracyLH Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 40

Thanks for all of that info, Cookiemookie! Great idea to play with the zests and oil and thanks for the heads-up that a little goes a long way. Hmm... I wonder if vanilla oil exists? I'd like to bump up the flavor on my sugar cookies. icon_rolleyes.gif Okay... back on theme...I actually remembered that I have Boyajian lemon oil and it makes fantastic pizzelles, so I will play with that. Thanks for the great ideas! icon_smile.gif

Edited to add that I just found a recipe for Butter Cookies with Citrus Oil on the Boyajian website. They aren't rolled cookies, but it might be something to play with. It does look like a lot of oil though. Here it is:

Butter Cookies With Citrus Oil

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Boyajian Lemon* Oil
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine sifted flour and salt, set aside. In large bowl combine butter and sifted confectioners sugar. Beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, add vanilla and Boyajian Lemon Oil and mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture and beat until well blended. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into a roll on waxed paper. Wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 - 12 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheet, then transfer cookies to cooling rack.

Yield: 5 dozen

*Boyajian Lime, Orange, or Tangerine Oil can be substituted for Lemon Oil

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #12 of 40

Okay all of you stop it! I've read through these threads and now have a serious craving for anything lemon. I know that my sis-in-law Denyse has tried a recipe for a rolled lemon sugar cookie and it was good. I told her to PM you, Tracy, or post in these forums. Will you let us know what you end up with? I would love to add lemon to my limited sugar cookie repertoire. Oooh I just remembered......I have some lemon sorbet in the freezer icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Gotta go! thumbs_up.gif

Denyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denyse Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #13 of 40

Tracy, here's my go at a recipe for Rolled Lemon Sugar Cookies. I've personally tried them and had Tricia try as well and we both liked them. The only thing is, I think they could be a little harder. So here goes, and please let me know what you think.

Rolled Lemon Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 T. finely grated lemon peel
1 t. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
1 t. water

1. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, lemon peel and vanilla until well blended.

2. Gradually add flour and salt. Beat in up to 1 teaspoon water, a few drops at a time, until dough just starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. Shape into a large, flat disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

3. When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

4. Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface and bake 10-12 minutes or until beginning to brown.

Good luck!

TracyLH Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #14 of 40

Mmm... Thanks, Denyse! That does look mighty yummy! I will give that a go! thumbs_up.gif I was just reading more about making lemon sugar and I think I might do that as well... and then a third batch with a touch of lemon oil. We will be swimming in cookies! icon_lol.gif Thanks again for posting this, Denyse!

Tricia - Right there with you! I adore lemon! Lemon curd, Triple Lemon Muffins (I'll PM that to you as they are delish, IMHO) and, of course, lemon sorbet! I just put that one on my grocery list last night! icon_lol.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #15 of 40

Tracy - I've tried the lemon butter cookie recipe from kitchengifts.com (home of the NFSC recipe) and thought it was pretty good. I like a strong lemon flavor, so I added some lemon juice and also lemon juice to the icing. It calls for lemon zest, but I didn't have a problem with it darkening or discoloring the dough. I used a very fine zest.

TracyLH Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 40

Thanks, Bonniebakes! It sounds like the darkening might only be with lime zest and not lemon zest. Great idea to add lemon juice to the RI! thumbs_up.gif Are you using Antonia74's RI recipe? If so, how much lemon juice do you recommend to avoid overdoing it or breaking down the icing? Thanks for your help! I am just going through so many supplies in the testing phase, so your help is much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 40

Tracy - I use a modified version of Antonia's RI - I replace about 1/3 of the water with corn syrup when I want it to be a little more shiny, otherwise I follow Helen's recipe, and just add a few teaspoons of corn syrup to it.

I'm not sure how much lemon juice I've added... probably 1-2 Tablespoon. I add it a little at a time toward the end of the 10 minute mixing period, and judge by look and smell. Sorry, I know that's not much help!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #18 of 40

TracyLH, I'm not a "cookie maker" like so many others here, but I do make cookies on a regular basis. They just don't get decorated to the "unth" degree like the gorgeous ones that pop up on CC.

I always us No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe and add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract and a 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract which compliments the lemon but does not overwhelm. This combo is often used in pound cake mixtures as well. I like the idea of lemon rind; however, I would make sure I'd use an ultra fine rasp to grate it as it can add a bitterness to the dough if it is too large.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:32pm
post #19 of 40

You all have my gleek glands going for the lemon thanks for the recipes, I tried the PB roll out and the chocolate chip one from soneone on here and they are yummy also, but the chocolate chip roll out doesn't make many. I have to try these lemon ones.

TracyLH Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #20 of 40

Win - Thanks so much! That sounds very good! thumbs_up.gif

Debster - I have heard great things about the PB cookies too. I think that is GeminiRJ's recipe as well as the chocolate chip one, unless I am mistaken. (Oh, if you want to see something that is too cute, take a look at her lobster cookies she just posted today in the gallery! Some of the funniest cookies I have ever seen! I am still laughing! icon_lol.gif )

debster Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #21 of 40

Tracy...................how do we get to her site? I need a laugh.

TracyLH Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 40

Debster - GeminiRJ's cookie that made me laugh is right here on CC icon_smile.gif . Here is the link to it - one of my favorite cookies I have ever seen:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356618

If you still need a smile though, click on this unrelated-to-cookies-but-will-still-make-you-smile link:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4816051/12849087

Hope these bring a few smiles to your day! icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #23 of 40

Tracy those lobster eyes are hysterical, thanks!!!!!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #24 of 40

Sorry I haven't been back to answer those questions before now, Tracy! I used the first cream cheese cookie link. The "best ever". I didn't put the almond extract in, instead I used half a little bottle of the tiny Lorann's lemon oil.

I am definitely a cookie novice, but I found it incorporated just fine. My husband and I ate the leftover cookies for a week. I also did not find them fragile at all. I used the recipe for cookie bouquets for my niece's birthday and they came out great. I wouldn't be any more wary about shipping them than I would NFSC. HTH.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #25 of 40

Tracy, I just wanted to tell you that I had some frozen cookies that I didn't use the lemon emulsion in, and I smelled it and it was just so blah. Then I smelled a lemon one and I was like POW! I don't think I will ever NOT use it in a cookie, ever, unless specially requested by a customer. I just wanted to share that with you, lol. And you don't need a special recipe, just a tsp or so in your normal sugar cookie recipe. I'm off to buy multiple bottles right now.

TracyLH Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:56am
post #26 of 40

Alanaj and HeidiCrumbs - Thanks for your valued input! We are all gathering all sorts of great information! icon_smile.gif

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Debster - GeminiRJ's cookie that made me laugh is right here on CC icon_smile.gif . Here is the link to it - one of my favorite cookies I have ever seen:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356618

If you still need a smile though, click on this unrelated-to-cookies-but-will-still-make-you-smile link:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4816051/12849087

Hope these bring a few smiles to your day! icon_smile.gif

Awwww Tracy! I loved that Sound of Music video!! It truly brought a smile to my face this morning!! Ive never heard it done like they did the 2 half - I liked it! The little ladys in the audience that were all dancing were the best!! It even brought tears to my eyes! (yeah - menopause SUX!) I loved it though! Thank you so much for sharing!!

TracyLH Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #28 of 40

Glad it made you smile, Gaye! Oh, I get teary-eyed too. icon_redface.gif (and I have seen it more than once! icon_lol.gif ) It makes for a little lift in the day, which we all can use!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Tricia - Right there with you! I adore lemon! Lemon curd, Triple Lemon Muffins (I'll PM that to you as they are delish, IMHO) and, of course, lemon sorbet! I just put that one on my grocery list last night! icon_lol.gif

I have a great and easy recipe for lemon baked alaskas. You cut the bottom tip off of lemons so that they'll sit level, then cut about the top 1/3 off and hollow out the shells. Next, fill them with lemon sorbet, stand each one up in a muffin tin and freeze them. Make a meringue, pipe a big swirl on top of each lemon, broil them for about 30 seconds, then pop back in the freezer. When you want to eat them (and impress the heck out of everyone! thumbs_up.gif ) just thaw them for 20 minutes before serving.

They're only 116 calories apiece and are fat free.

Now, back to the topic -- where do you buy lemon emulsion?

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #30 of 40

Yummy! I do the same thing but w/Oranges ... Its so easy, so delish and so impressive! People think you've worked all day! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%