A "book Cake"

Decorating By specialcake Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm by fiddlesticks

specialcake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 11

Pleas if somebody could give me some advices how to make a book using fondant... I need to make a PHD graduation cake

10 replies
cakesbydina Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:59am
post #2 of 11

good luck getting a response. I have asked several times for directions for book cakes. I have seen parts of the process on cake decorating shows. They take a ball tool to make the page indentations and score it with a toothpick to make the page marks. I noticed on ace of cakes they just cut a larger piece of fondant to overlap the sides to make the cover. I am not sure if there is any sculpting involved. I need to try this too.

grama_j Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:12am
post #3 of 11

Have you gone to the galleries and looked at the "book cakes", then contacting someone that has actually MADE one ? Most people on here are very willing to help if they know there is a problem.......

debster Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:15am
post #4 of 11

I'm with you all too, I need to make one. I don't think there is sculpting IF you can do it the size of a pan. If they are graduating sizes then maybe have to carve the smaller one. Anyway the toothpick idea sounds great or I guess you could take and make a long strip and run the pizza thing down it and wrap it around then do the larger piece of fondant around the book.

The thing I'm wondering about it how to get the edging to look nice like a book you know the top piece of fondant that wraps around. Maybe we should google it sometimes there are directions out there or I'm going to try www.youtube.com and put in there directions on making a book cake with fondant. I don't have time now , but let me know if you all find something. Happy hunting!!!!!

I also want to do some luggage.

Starkie Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #5 of 11

I just saw a post on this a few days ago, but sorry to say I can't find the link. (Weird ~ I searched "book cake" and came up with nothing from the forums, not even your post!) Anyway, I have the double mix open book pan, so I've never needed instructions. But if you are doing an open book, bake a sheet cake and cut a curved "V" out of the middle, then gently sculpt the sides down. (Open up a book and lay it down next to the cake and you'll see what I'm talking about.) I generally use buttercream on my cake, and lay a thin piece of fondant on the top to simulate the top page, curling the edge a little bit.

For a closed book, bake a 9x13 (or some other rectangular size) and ice it with BC. Then measure and lay a piece of fondant to go over the top cover and binding (not the page areas). Then cut out a very narrow strip of fondant and wrap it around the base of the pages, which simulates the back cover. (Debbie Brown's "50 Easy Party Cakes" shows how to do this exactly.)

I hope this helps you out! Good luck!

cakesbydina Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

grama_j unfortunetly I have not recieve any responses from contacting people via PM. I also googled it and youtube requested it and still no directions found. Hopefully someone will take five minutes to give a quick "how to" for us who need it. It doesn't look difficult but I hate "experimenting" and goofing up a cake that's for a paying customer. STRESS!!!

grama_j Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 11

I'll see what I can dig up........
here is one.....

Throwing this one in because he is the best decorator EVER !!

Hope you find your answer......

grama_j Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 11

HA! Wouldn't you know it !? She said she checked this site, and I didn't check again....... THANKS ! I'm hanging on to that one too ! thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks fiddlesticks, it's appreciated!!!!!!!!! I can't find anything on here ever. Computer dumb.

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 11

Your very welcome !
Not sure if it was what you needed but at least a start!

Quote by @%username% on %date%