Does Anyone Else Have A Large Family?

Lounge By mommachris Updated 2 May 2009 , 7:01am by CakeDiva73

mommachris Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #1 of 21

I am not trying to knock small families, just was interested if there are any decorators who have a large number of kids to deal with in addition to a cake hobby/job.

I feel so guilty for wanting to do my thing when there are so many other things that need to be done.
I actually find myself looking forward to birthday season ( six of my children have birthdays in a three month period) so I have a legitimate reason to create.
I can't even add up the many nights I waited until 10 pm to START decorating.
I have dreamed of making a cake without my eyes burning from lack of sleep.
Some times I think I should just stop until they grow up.
So, I'm reaching out....any decorators with lots of kids?

20 replies
maryjsgirl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 21

My family of six seems small in comparison with yours, lol. My husband knows when I have a cake to do he has to entertain the kids. He is pretty good at it, I only get a few kitchen infiltrations and "mom can Is".

mkolmar Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 21

I also have a family of 6. (your very blessed with having 9) This is large for a lot of people but my neighbor has 13. They are all grown now. She said she can always tell when things are tough with the kids because she sees me outside of the front door just taking deep breaths. icon_lol.gif
I too long for days when I can do things without the kids wrapped around my legs or arguing, but then I think when I get to that point I'll miss all of that too.

I also decorate only at night with my eyes burning. Do you ever get to the point your so tired that you actually mess up and try fixing it only to make it worse? I do.

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 21

Pretty soon we'll be a family of 6... How much harder id it than 5? I'm getting pretty freaked out the closer June nears...

mkolmar Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 21

I found that going from 3 kids to 4 wasn't too much more difficult. I had a lot more issues going from zero kids to one than I have ever with adding more kids to the family.
Congrats on the new little bundle to love foxymomma.

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 21

Thank you!
I didn't have too many problems with 2 to 3, but 1 to 2 was tough. I think my biggest concern is how close together they are. This makes 3 babies in just over 3 years... I sort of feel like I'm ripping the last one off! Especially this time, Mason is just such a momma's boy and I'm afraid he won't take well to his new brother.
Sorry to hijack the thread.
I won't charge for cakes anymore because I can never guarantee how good they'll come out. With the kids it's hard for me to devote my time to cakes. I can't imagine how you ladies make such wonderful creations when you are all clearly so busy!

Rcrewof10 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 21

I'm glad to see another large family mama icon_smile.gif

Our crew age range is 21 to 3. Our oldest just moved out last month so I only have 10 here at home. The ones at home are 19, 17, 15, 13, 12, 12, 10, 8, 6 and 3. My oldest daughter is 17 and helps me with the cakes. I usually do most of the work. She is better at fondant than I. I usually bake, clean up and she get the fun part of decorating if I don't want to do something.
As far as getting cakes done, I usually let them know to stay out of the kitchen and don't touch anything. I'm a early bird to bed so there is little chance I could stay up late to do a cake. My energy is best in the morning and early afternoon... after that I do down hill icon_smile.gif

Hmmm 6 birthdays in 3 months isn't bad!! We just got done with our birthday fiesta. Our oldest son and oldest daughter share the same birthday (they are 4 yrs apart) and then 3 days later is our twins birthday. So 4 birthdays in 3 days is a lot of celebrating. Our children are really sick of cake unfortunately. This year was the year for ice cream. The twins requested rootbeer floats and the oldest 2 asked for certain ice cream. The rest of the birthdays are spread out the rest of the year with the most of 2 birthdays in a month.

Foxymomma-
When I had little ones like that I didn't decorate much. I found that my season of life now is easier to decorate as I have a 3 yr old as my youngest. He is easier to manage than a baby would be. Give your self some time to relax. This season of life is soooooo short! They grow up so quickly. Enjoy them! They never get younger icon_smile.gif
Adding 1 more to the mix of children isn't hard. It's when you add multiples then it's a little harder. Or even adopt a baby when you haven't had a baby for a long time!

Take care
Michele

momg9 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 21

I have 9 and like you, my oldest was 18 when I had my youngest. That was 12 years ago, so now I have 4 at home 18, 16, 14, & 12. I have 8 beautiful grandchildren (that's when the fun begins).

I took my first cake decorating class when pregnant with my 6th. I can remember lots of days when I would have to decorate around a lot of little ones, although my husband is wonderful and has always been a big help.

I know you probably hear this a lot, but enjoy them, they grow up so quickly.

mommachris Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 21

warms my heart to know that I'm not the only one juggling many blessings and cake craft. I've always wanted to learn to decorate...vividly remember at 14 years old I saved my money to buy my first wilton mag at Sears. icon_eek.gif
I was so amazed at real looking grass and all those pan shapes, oohhh.

24 years later my first born (14 at the time) wanted to take a class at micheals . Went with her and I got to finally learn how to do all those cool things like shell boarders and roses. I really love, love, love to make cakes.

Hope my posting didn't sound whiny. I was at a low last night. Had to decide between going to bed early and making a cake for a sweet couple who were getting married ( a surprise for them, not a paid job.) and I chose the cake.

The kids are pretty supportive of baking. They love scraps and cake balls. icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the new baby, Foxy. From five to six isn't too bad. It seems like after seven things got a bit nutty. I guess because by that time you have some that are hitting puberty and that is a wild ride for the whole family. icon_razz.gif

Do any of you homeschool too?

mommachris

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 21

Thank you guys icon_smile.gif
I hope to dedicate more time to cakes when they are older... Right now it seems that every time I go to pipe a border the little one decides to clamp onto my legs icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck to all of you and your big blessed families!

jules06 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #11 of 21

Amongst my family & friends ,I have the most kids but compared to you ladies, 5 is a paltry number !!!! icon_biggrin.gif I would love to have more but being single, I don't see that happening !!! icon_lol.gif

You all have my utmost admiration thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rcrewof10 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #12 of 21

mommachris,

Yes we homeschool also.

Another side note here... my husbands name is Dave and we will be celebrating our 22nd anniversary next month!

My daughter and I went through the wilton classes about 2 yrs ago. I took my first class when I was preggo with my 2nd child. My mil wanted to pass on cake decorating to someone in the family. That person ended up being me. Now I'm passing it on to my daughter to take to the next generation.

I look forward to sharing experiences with you all.

Michele

vww104 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #13 of 21

Not to change the subject too much, but for those of you who don't charge for whatever reason, please consider just getting your customers/friends to reimburse you for ingredients. I'm just a hobbyist and make it very clear to folks that I'm not a professional. But I do ask for a nominal fee to cover ingredients and supplies.

momg9 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #14 of 21

yes, we homeschool.

mommachris Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.
Nice to know that I'm not the only one is the unique situation of many family members and a time consuming hobby.
I don't feel so lonely now.

Happy baking to all. thumbs_up.gif

my two year old just 'popped' the lock on my bed room door...
break time is over.

mommachris

lardbutt Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #16 of 21

Well, I'm nuttier than a fruitcake honey! I have five, but as already stated that sounds like nothing compared to some of you super heros! Mine are 13, 12, 9, 6, and 17 months. All girls, except for the one in the middle. Poor thing is surrounded by hormones!

Yes, I decorate late at night too, but I am a night owl by nature anyway. Of course, I pay for it when the sun comes up!

mommachris Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:18am
post #17 of 21

I'm a goof ball anyway. I was loony before the kids and I'll be quackers long after my nest is empty.

Sense of humor is more important than patience when the kids out number the adults.

My favorite answer to the "how do you do it?!" question is....zone defense. icon_lol.gif

KathysCC Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 21

I am a mom to 4, ages 19, 17, 15 and 3 and I also homeschool. All of you moms have my respect and my envy. I would have taken as many as God gave me but he chose to give me these four and they are the most precious gifts in the whole world. I think large families are such a blessing.

I read this here on CC a while back and thought you moms would like it.
When someone says to you, "You must have your hands full." Here is a great reply.

If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

lardbutt Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #19 of 21

KathysCC, I love that quote!

mommachris Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:25am
post #20 of 21

I hear 'your hands are full!' all the time.
My reply is always that they didn't come all at the same time so you just adjust as the family grows.
If I'm feeling a bit naughty I come back with...'yeah, they used to be empty.' icon_redface.gif Not a nice thing to say but sometime I get so tired of people judging us. I've had people stop in a parking lot and visibly count the kids as they emerge from our van. icon_confused.gif
Kind of rude in my opinion.

mommachris

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 May 2009 , 7:01am
post #21 of 21

We are a family of six with every single family member's birthday within a 4 month period, so I go a little nuts.

I try to decorate while they are at school because they are always in the kitchen, underfoot and 2 inches away from me as soon as they are home from school. I was always used to that, you know......never being able to go to the bathroom alone, etc. icon_smile.gif but it drives me nuts when I am working with gumpaste flowers and RI and trying to do delicate decorting stuff and the teenage boys come clompin' thru the kitchen in search of Coke & burittos and the little ones wait for my back to be turned so can steal fondant......

So I really have found that my juice box comes in handy! icon_razz.gif 'Course it's a 5 liter box of zinfandel but you get the picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%