Help!! Fondant Problem

Decorating By daisyjenn Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 6:38am by ceshell

daisyjenn Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

Hello all!

I am trying my first attempt at Michele Foster's fondant recipe. I have followed all the instructions but my fondant is not behaving. I have mixed in the powdered sugar and it's supposed to form a ball that doesnt slid down the hook. I do get a little ball forming but when I turn off my mixer it melts down the hook. I have added more powdered sugar like she suggests but it's not working. Any suggestions would be great! usaribbon.gif

6 replies
ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:03am
post #2 of 7

How much ps have you added? It sounds like you just need to keep going! I've only made it twice but both times (at the end stage, mind you) I didn't add enough PS even though I was SURE I had enough. Keep at it, it'll come together. You don't HAVE to do that part in the mixer by the way; that step is just to make it easier on you. You can knead it all in by hand if your KA is not interested in working on it anymore icon_smile.gif.

daisyjenn Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the advice.

I have added lots of extra powdered sugar. I think I have added about double what the recipe calls for. I was going to try to knead it by hand but the fondant is like marshmallow fluff right now. It is sticking to everything. I will keep going though, hopefully it will work finally. If anything it will be very, very sweet when I am done.

aliciag829 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 7

I don't think more PS is the answer. You probably just needed to mix it longer to stiffen it up a little more. If you added double the PS it calls for, I'm worried it might dry out on you?

daisyjenn Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #5 of 7

Ok so remembering that I am a newbie let me tell you what went wrong. ME!! icon_cry.gif

See what happen was...

I could have sworn the recipe called for 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. After I looked at the recipe for the 90th time I noticed that it called for 3 1/2 pounds. That was also about the time the fondant started to work for me. So I counted how much p. sugar I had added altogether and guess what? It was about 3 1/2 lbs! Wow, the recipe works when you read it correctly. So now my fondant is resting till tomorrow. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Thank you for your advice and listening to me. I will watch a little more Sesame Street to help with the reading problem I obviously have.
usaribbon.gif

aliciag829 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #6 of 7

lol Been there, done that. Glad you figured it out and didn't ruin your fondant. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:38am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

lol Been there, done that. Glad you figured it out and didn't ruin your fondant

LOL, ditto that! Same thing happened to me last time I made some bc icing...total space cadet moment. I was at the stage in the recipe where it said "The mixture will be quite thick" and since I'd made it before, I KNEW what it should look like...but it wasn't thick at all. Took a few minutes before I had my "DOH!" moment!

Glad it is working out for you now! And remember, if you hadn't made this mistake today, you'd have eventually made it somewhere down the line LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%