If I Mix Fruit Filling...

Decorating By CookiezNCupcakez Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 2:09am by CookiezNCupcakez

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 10

Into my cake and then bake, will it be ok to sit out ? I know pies sit out all the time but I just want to be sure icon_redface.gif

Thanks All

9 replies
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 10

BUMP BUMP icon_sad.gif

ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 10

Generally speaking, if it's baked INTO the cake as you are describing, then it should be shelf stable for at least a few days. The question is...for how MANY days, and that would depend on a litany of scientific factors that I have no personal knowledge of icon_biggrin.gif. The problem with fruits and cakes needing refrigeration is usually when the fruits are used as filling. As filling they retain their full moisture and that moisture causes spoilage pretty quick. However, baking them into the product is a whole different dynamic.

When I bake apple-banana cupcakes they are fine to sit out. Ditto pumpkin bread. Blueberry muffins...etc.

Sorry, that's the best I can do; can't give you a definitive "green light" on the subject as I wouldn't want to steer you wrong and make you ill. But for what it's worth I've never heard of cakes w/fruit baked in, needing to be refrigerated. Maybe I just haven't come across those recipes though?!

aliciag829 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 10

Well I don't know if they *have* to be refrigerated, but when I make cakes with fruit filling swirled into them, I always refrigerate them because it seems like they get moldy faster at room temp. I just refrigerate to make them last longer. JMO.

ceshell Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:41am
post #5 of 10

Ooh good point...if the filling is swirled in rather than completely mixed in, you are basically talking about having an isolated layer of "jelly or jam" ...not terribly different than using as an actually filling in between layers...and that's the very moisture I was talking about with regard to spoilage. And p.s. I misread your op, I saw "fruit" whereas aliciag correctly read "fruit filling."

Aliciag's point makes for a good question: when you say "sit out," how long are you talking about?

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry for the confusion icon_smile.gif If I bake the fruit filling, as in added it to the cake mix not swirled in as a filling type... How long is that ok to stay out? same as plain cake or not? Anyone know how pies can sit out for a few day's with all that filling icon_confused.gif

Thanks again

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 10

Forgot to mention how long... I would say3-4 days at max

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 10

There is much to consider when asking how long something can go unrefrigerated......like what's the weather like........hot? Humid? cold? air conditioned?
Generally speaking I agree 3-4 days max would be about it. That's if it is not hot & humid.

ceshell Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #9 of 10

Yep, what kakeladi said. I mean, the real answer is: there IS no definitive answer. So many different variables come in to play, mostly doing with the amount of filling you are adding (i.e. ratio of filling to batter). For what it's worth I've never seen a chart giving information on how to determine the answer to your question.

Again I would say, if it is completely mixed in to the batter, it would SEEM to be little different than other fruit-enhanced cakes which are indeed shelf-stable (banana, blueberry, etc. as I mentioned above). I have a raspberry truffle brownie recipe which uses raspberry jam swirled in before cooking...I would think that is analagous to a fruit filling, and no it doesn't require refrigeration for the few days it lasts icon_wink.gif. I don't think the concern here is the filling per se, it's the increased moisture it adds to your cake, and that moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria. But you might be reducing the liquids in your recipe to compensate for the liquid in the filling...so...ack, who knows?! icon_confused.gif

The bottom line is, unfortunately I don't think anyone can guarantee you a firm answer on the question icon_sad.gif . The other thing I would do, if it were me, is try to research some other cake recipes which use fillings mixed in, and review the recipes to see if they require refrigeration. Ditto with pies, you might be able to find that answer for pies/pie filling and work your way backward from "how long an apple pie can sit out".

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but at least this thread is active, and perhaps someone else may stumble upon it and give you some more info icon_smile.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%