What Brand Of Icing Colors Do Y'all Use!

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 1 Dec 2015 , 12:40am by OHaresTstyTrts

Sassy74 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 13

The more I browse the pix on the sight, the more unhappy I become with the icing colors I use. All I've ever used are Wilton colors because they're readily available locally. But, some of the colors I see on the sight are soooo beautiful...soft, saturated, deep colors. Mine sometimes look garish and cartoonish. OK...maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but the point is I'm not satisfied! So tell me, what brands do y'all like the best? TIA!

12 replies
patticakesnc Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:45am
post #2 of 13

I use Wilton as well, but I did buy my first Americolor yesterday so I will see how it does and how I like it. I have to do a hot pink so I got Americolor since I was told it was much better.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:31am
post #3 of 13

I use Wilton too. There's a chart on the Wilton site that tells you how to blend their colors to achieve different shades: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/icing-color-chart.cfm and another page with some other info about their colors: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/tips-on-coloring-icing.cfm which helped me.

Sometimes I will use white fondant and then paint the color on. It's a different effect than mixing the color into the fondant, and there are some colors that I can only seem to get that way. I especially like to paint over flowers that I've made and dried, to give them a brighter look.

I saw Lorann colors at Hobby Lobby and was thinking about trying those. They seemed to be only the most basic colors though.

courtney1009 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #4 of 13

Americolor all the way! I used to use wilton. I really didn't care for them. I could never get the colors I wanted out of them. I'm sure there is probably a way but I'm too lazy for that! Americolors are so nice! Plus I find I can use much less of them to get my desired color. And they come in tubes so you don't have to dig around in that jar with a toothpick.

sweetjan Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #5 of 13

I use Wilton but plan to try some Americolor just for the sake of comparison

debster Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #6 of 13

Americolor unless I need it like now then Wilton. I find it's cheaper to get the larger bottle , plus the colors are deeper and I use less. The super red and super black ARE MY FAVS!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif No ucky taste, the longer they sit the darker they get so stop with the color a shade or two lighter, they WILL darken.

saap1204 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 13

I just tried Chefmaster and I must say I really liked them. The black is great and you don't need as much as with Wilton; the purple and teal worked great--you don't need as much. I also ordered a red and will see how that works. Otherwise, I just use Wilton and never had a problem with them unless it was red and black--needed too much color and it effects the taste of the icing.

blondeez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 13

I use Americolor.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 13

Chefmaster is my favorite. You don't have to use near as much as the other brands, no bitter taste and you get vibrant colors immediately. I used to have to wait for red and black to sit and intensify but not since switching to chefmaster liqua gel color.

Michmadd18 Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 13

I've only used Wilton for a deep red and it turned everyone's mouth red! It was for royal icing on cookies. Has anyone had this happen with Wilton or any other brands. I want to try a different brand, but wasn't sure if anyone had this problem with chef master or americolor

Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 13

Americolor :)

leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 13

I try to avoid Wilton, but sometimes, they're just too convenient.  I also like Chefmaster and Americolor.  But what I really like are powdered colors.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 12:40am
post #13 of 13

I love my Americolor gel and airbrush colors. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%