What Brand Of Icing Colors Do Y'all Use!

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 1 Dec 2015 , 12:40am by OHaresTstyTrts

Sassy74  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 13

The more I browse the pix on the sight, the more unhappy I become with the icing colors I use. All I've ever used are Wilton colors because they're readily available locally. But, some of the colors I see on the sight are soooo beautiful...soft, saturated, deep colors. Mine sometimes look garish and cartoonish. OK...maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but the point is I'm not satisfied! So tell me, what brands do y'all like the best? TIA!

12 replies
 patticakesnc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:45am
post #2 of 13

I use Wilton as well, but I did buy my first Americolor yesterday so I will see how it does and how I like it. I have to do a hot pink so I got Americolor since I was told it was much better.

Texas_Rose  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:31am
post #3 of 13

I use Wilton too. There's a chart on the Wilton site that tells you how to blend their colors to achieve different shades: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/icing-color-chart.cfm and another page with some other info about their colors: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/tips-on-coloring-icing.cfm which helped me.

Sometimes I will use white fondant and then paint the color on. It's a different effect than mixing the color into the fondant, and there are some colors that I can only seem to get that way. I especially like to paint over flowers that I've made and dried, to give them a brighter look.

I saw Lorann colors at Hobby Lobby and was thinking about trying those. They seemed to be only the most basic colors though.

courtney1009  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #4 of 13

Americolor all the way! I used to use wilton. I really didn't care for them. I could never get the colors I wanted out of them. I'm sure there is probably a way but I'm too lazy for that! Americolors are so nice! Plus I find I can use much less of them to get my desired color. And they come in tubes so you don't have to dig around in that jar with a toothpick.

sweetjan  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #5 of 13

I use Wilton but plan to try some Americolor just for the sake of comparison

debster  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #6 of 13

Americolor unless I need it like now then Wilton. I find it's cheaper to get the larger bottle , plus the colors are deeper and I use less. The super red and super black ARE MY FAVS!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif No ucky taste, the longer they sit the darker they get so stop with the color a shade or two lighter, they WILL darken.

saap1204  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 13

I just tried Chefmaster and I must say I really liked them. The black is great and you don't need as much as with Wilton; the purple and teal worked great--you don't need as much. I also ordered a red and will see how that works. Otherwise, I just use Wilton and never had a problem with them unless it was red and black--needed too much color and it effects the taste of the icing.

blondeez  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 13

I use Americolor.

tiggy2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 13

Chefmaster is my favorite. You don't have to use near as much as the other brands, no bitter taste and you get vibrant colors immediately. I used to have to wait for red and black to sit and intensify but not since switching to chefmaster liqua gel color.

Michmadd18  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michmadd18 Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 13

I've only used Wilton for a deep red and it turned everyone's mouth red! It was for royal icing on cookies. Has anyone had this happen with Wilton or any other brands. I want to try a different brand, but wasn't sure if anyone had this problem with chef master or americolor

Pastrybaglady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 13

Americolor :)

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 13

I try to avoid Wilton, but sometimes, they're just too convenient.  I also like Chefmaster and Americolor.  But what I really like are powdered colors.

OHaresTstyTrts  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 12:40am
post #13 of 13

I love my Americolor gel and airbrush colors. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%