Indydebi's Buttercream-A"testimonial"!!!

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 30 Aug 2017 , 6:02pm by calicopurr

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #91 of 178

I use zero trans crisco. When crisco switched to zero trans, I never even noticed a difference. For those who remember the HUGE thread going on at the time about the problems folks were encountering, I was totally confused because I had no idea what everyone was talking about. ("Crisco made a switch? No kidding? Huh! Whadda ya know!")

I've used butter flavored crisco just once in my life .... in my snickerdoodle cookies. And ... well .... let's just say I tried it ONCE and some months later, ended up throwing the almost-full-can of butter-crisco in the trash.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #92 of 178

I too have been converted to indy's bc...it crusts great and after I got over the fear of mixing too much and beat the crap out of that bc...it's sooo smooth. I had a hard time finding dream whip at first until I took the blonde wig off and checked walmart and voila...dream whip.

I swear by this recipe and will use no other, it's the base for all of the bc variations I use. Thanks a bunch indy.

Oh, and I swear you should record ALL of your "keepin it real" comments and mail them to me. I'll keep them in my pocket and press play when I don't have the nerve to stand up for myself.

You Kick Major A$$!!!!!

tmr137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmr137 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #93 of 178

Indydebi. Can Hi-ratio shortening be used in your receipe? I have like 15 pounds of it and I don't want it to go to waste.

indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #94 of 178

I recall someone saying they used hi-ratio and it turned out really great!

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #95 of 178

Apologies if this questions is a duplicate.
We dont hv Dream whip here, any substitutes?
Thanks

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #96 of 178

Tmr--I use hi-ratio all the time and I like the results. I am going to use Crisco today to see if I can tell the difference.

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #97 of 178

For those that haven't used butter flavor Crisco - be warned that is it colored yellow --Very yellow. I wouldn't use if you want to get a white icing.

Frecklepuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklepuss Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #98 of 178

I have to be honest here ... I really dislike shortening based icing because it leaves a greasy feeling on the roof of my mouth and because of how unhealthy it is. I ALWAYS make butter based icings unless I need white or something that will hold up better. I know grocery stores (and Costco & Walmart) would use shortening based icing for the simple reason that it is cheaper and it holds up better. Isn't our goal to be LESS like these places? I am simply curious and it is NOT my intention to offend anyone.

I have some questions:

1. Do customers REALLY not complain about the greasy factor? (To be fair I have NOT tried this recipe yet so I don't know if it is greasy or not)

2. Do most of you use this icing only in conditions where you need the icing to stand up in high humidity OR if you need it to be white?

Indydebi - I mean absolutely NO offense. It is obvious people love this icing I am simply just looking for some more feedback or suggestions. I am a newbie so perhaps I am WAY off base here.

I do know one thing ... I am DONE with fondant. People just take it off or have mixed reviews like my last customer who commented that guests loved the cake but weren't sure what to make of the "icing" and removed it. To me that is in an insult and reflects badly on me.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #99 of 178

Why not try it for yourself then you will know the answer to your question.

I am going to give it a try too!

indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #100 of 178

smooney, no offense taken!! It's always good to ask questions! thumbs_up.gif

No, not one person has ever complained about a greasy, crisco tasting feeling in their mouths. Although I can understand, if you're used to a butter icing, how this might taste to you. And it's the only icing I've really ever used for 30 years ... I use it for everything: Icing, borders, dams, roses, drop flowers, stringwork, etc.

Let me share something, though, to see if this might be a factor in your past taste tests. I was playing with a new icing recipe and noticed it called for twice the amount of fat per 2-lbs of powdered sugar than my icing used. when I tasted this icing, all I could taste was crisco and it was NASTY!!! I realized that if this had been my first or only exposure to crisco-based icing, I would be boycotting it completely!! I was SO grateful that I had tasted a GOOD crisco-based icing so I knew this one recipe was NOT how good icing was suppose to taste.

So if your exposure to crisco-based icing was a recipe like I mention here, then I totally understand your apprehension.

Having tasted a "bad" crisco-based recipe and being able to compare it to my crisco-based recipe, I know it CAN be good ..... and my 30 years of customers who love it, validate it.

All I can say is give it a shot (make just a half recipe) and see what you think.

Frecklepuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklepuss Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #101 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

smooney, no offense taken!! It's always good to ask questions! thumbs_up.gif

No, not one person has ever complained about a greasy, crisco tasting feeling in their mouths. Although I can understand, if you're used to a butter icing, how this might taste to you. And it's the only icing I've really ever used for 30 years ... I use it for everything: Icing, borders, dams, roses, drop flowers, stringwork, etc.

Let me share something, though, to see if this might be a factor in your past taste tests. I was playing with a new icing recipe and noticed it called for twice the amount of fat per 2-lbs of powdered sugar than my icing used. when I tasted this icing, all I could taste was crisco and it was NASTY!!! I realized that if this had been my first or only exposure to crisco-based icing, I would be boycotting it completely!! I was SO grateful that I had tasted a GOOD crisco-based icing so I knew this one recipe was NOT how good icing was suppose to taste.

So if your exposure to crisco-based icing was a recipe like I mention here, then I totally understand your apprehension.

Having tasted a "bad" crisco-based recipe and being able to compare it to my crisco-based recipe, I know it CAN be good ..... and my 30 years of customers who love it, validate it.

All I can say is give it a shot (make just a half recipe) and see what you think.

Thank you so much indydebi ... this is exactly the information I was looking for. I will definately try the icing and let you know what I think and how it is received. I appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #102 of 178

Indydeb's icing is the only one that I use. I used to use Wilton - but not any more.

I also use the flavored coffee creamer instead of milk and it turns out great. And I freeze my leftovers as I do not make that many cakes and it tastes great and spreads perfectly!!! In fact one batch I froze then unthawed slightly and took out a little and then put the rest back in the freezer. I have kept my icing in the freezer for over two months and you can not tell the difference between fresh or frozen. Just make sure that you store it in a good air tight container.

tmr137 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #103 of 178

Indydebi. Thanks for answering my questing. I can't wait to try your recipe.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #104 of 178

How much does this recipe yield?

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #105 of 178

I have finally found my buttercream. I made a batch today and it was so smooth and none of that butter taste. Followed the recipe to a T and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the recipe.

Chef Betty

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #106 of 178

I made the recipe- very light and tastes good. But I have tons of tiny air pocks thru out. I am thinking of adding more sugar, then some Karo to try to smooth it out. Any other ideas?

I beat the ingredients with about two cups of PS to start. When that was smooth, I added the rest of the PS then beat for 10 minutes. Would a slower speed have worked better? I think my KA was at a 4.

All ideas welcome! I have to redo the basketweave on a cake- I went ahead despite the pock marks, then the cake board slid off the plate! I salvaged the cake, so am getting ready to BW for another hour or so! Cake is supposed to go out tonight, but I do have till noon tomorrow if needed.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:52am
post #107 of 178

I got the cake redone! Pictures are posted under Anniversary cakes. I was much happier with the second product! I did adjust the icing as noted above, then used the ribbed tip instead of the smooth to do the basketweave.

I will be making more icing in the morning after delivering this one- I have two sheet cakes to do for church for our pastor's going away party. Busy day ahead!

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #108 of 178

After reading all the rave reviews and having my first outdoor wedding next weekend, I am excited to try Indydebi's recipe. I was wondering about the yield as I am making a five tier, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and wondering how many batches simply to frost it, without any decorations. Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #109 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2523

After reading all the rave reviews and having my first outdoor wedding next weekend, I am excited to try Indydebi's recipe. I was wondering about the yield as I am making a five tier, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and wondering how many batches simply to frost it, without any decorations. Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I did a 16, 12, 8" square last weekend. I did two double batches (8 lbs of sugar) and had way less than one single batch left - probably 2-3 cups. If you'll PM or email Debi, I'll bet she will help you out with the yield. icon_smile.gif

That is a big cake - be sure to post pictures!

cakes1001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes1001 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #110 of 178

Debi! or anyone who has made this recipe can answer. Do you use regular drinking milk 2% or the evaporated milk from the tin?

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #111 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes1001

Debi! or anyone who has made this recipe can answer. Do you use regular drinking milk 2% or the evaporated milk from the tin?

I use regular milk. It comes out great!

cakes1001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes1001 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #112 of 178

I am planning to use debi's buttercream recipe (first time making it) for cupakes for a friend for friday and planning to ice them tomorrow thursday. Will they be fine outside using reg 2% milk and it won't go bad keeping it outside overnight? Or will i have to refrigerate the cupcakes? I normally use the wilton recipe and it stays fine but milk is very little. Here the milk is quite a bit. I do not have time to experiment so..... any help is appreciated. TIA

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #113 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes1001

I am planning to use debi's buttercream recipe (first time making it) for cupakes for a friend for friday and planning to ice them tomorrow thursday. Will they be fine outside using reg 2% milk and it won't go bad keeping it outside overnight? Or will i have to refrigerate the cupcakes? I normally use the wilton recipe and it stays fine but milk is very little. Here the milk is quite a bit. I do not have time to experiment so..... any help is appreciated. TIA

I've used skim, 1%, 2% and whole milk. I can't tell a diff. I keep it on the counter for days. I never refrigerate my cakes.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #114 of 178

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! It is sooooo much better than what I had been using. Will use this one mostly from now on!

ancameni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ancameni Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #115 of 178

I have just started cake decorating and have been using the Class Buttercream. I was searching high and low for a good tasting BC. I tried the Mousseline cream, etc and they all tasted to me like butter.
This morning i have tried Indydebie;s BC and it is the bomb. It is so good, so creamy and smooth. Like some other reviewers this is the buttercream for me now. I read through this whole thread and picked up a couple of tricks. Next time i try dissolving the sugar first and then adding the shortening ( i used Hi-ratio by the way) and i realize i may have not beaten it long enough. But it was a dream to work with today. Thanks Indydebie...

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #116 of 178

I just tried the recipe and it tastes wonderful!! My only problem is I used the 1/2 cup milk and need it thicker. Can I add more PS when I use it, ( I need it Sat.) and just remix? Also, I put it in the fridge, is this ok??
thanks for the info, and IndiDebi thanks for the recipe icon_biggrin.gif

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:15am
post #117 of 178

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I was wondering about making this chocolate. Do I use cocoa powder or melted chocolate and how much?? Thanks for this delicious recipe!

tmr137 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #118 of 178

Good morning all. I am getting ready to make this recipe and wanted to make sure that I was reading this right. "1-1/3 cups Cricso " . Is this saying 1 1/3 cups or 1/3 of Crisco?

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #119 of 178

I read in another post that someone adds 8oz. of melted chocolate chips to a batch, I haven't tried it yet though. HTH!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #120 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr137

Good morning all. I am getting ready to make this recipe and wanted to make sure that I was reading this right. "1-1/3 cups Cricso " . Is this saying 1 1/3 cups or 1/3 of Crisco?

You need to use 1 AND 1/3 cups of Crisco for Debi's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%