Indydebi's Buttercream-A"testimonial"!!!

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 30 Aug 2017 , 6:02pm by calicopurr

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #121 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr137

Good morning all. I am getting ready to make this recipe and wanted to make sure that I was reading this right. "1-1/3 cups Cricso " . Is this saying 1 1/3 cups or 1/3 of Crisco?

1 cup + 1/3 cup of crisco. thumbs_up.gif (and with anything I do, it's +/-!)

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #122 of 178

Hey Debi, is it too late for you to copyright your recipe? icon_biggrin.gif I would love to know how many special occasions have been saved because it was used on the cake. Numbers 4 and 5 are coming up for me this month - Texas, outdoor events, 100+ temps, 80-90% humidity. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. thumbs_up.gif

tmr137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmr137 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #123 of 178

Thanks for answering my question MBT4955 and Indydebi

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm
post #124 of 178

IndyDebi,
I really would llke to use butter in my frosting. Do you think your recipe would work well if I used half butter and half shortening? My current recipe is equal parts shortening and butter (2 c. each) and four lbs. powdered sugar, half and half and flavoring (vanilla, almond, ....) and Meringue powder to increase the crusting and staying power. Whadya think?

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #125 of 178

I've never used butter in it. WHen you try it, let us know how it works! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #126 of 178

Can I ask a stupid question here -- do you use 1 envelope dream whip in the recipe?

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #127 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcakes

IndyDebi,
I really would llke to use butter in my frosting. Do you think your recipe would work well if I used half butter and half shortening? My current recipe is equal parts shortening and butter (2 c. each) and four lbs. powdered sugar, half and half and flavoring (vanilla, almond, ....) and Meringue powder to increase the crusting and staying power. Whadya think?

I tried it this way, and it pretty much is the same - taste wise - but if you are in a VERY hot or humid climate (which I am) you may try her normal recipe with a little more butter flavoring instead - That butter in humidity reeks havoc! Thats what I do when I need something for outdoors! HTH

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #128 of 178

I use 50/50 butter and shortening any time the heat/humidity will not be an issue. I just like butter in my buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif Debi's recipe has been perfect for me every time whether it is all shortening or half & half.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #129 of 178

Just to make sure. If I make this today with milk, leave it on the counter for three days, it will still be okay to eat or should I refrigerate it?

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #130 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Just to make sure. If I make this today with milk, leave it on the counter for three days, it will still be okay to eat or should I refrigerate it?

It will be ok. You might observe some separation. Just mix it a few whips with a big spoon. The texture is actually a bit better after a few days.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:25pm
post #131 of 178

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I made a double batch in my KA - taste GREAT by the way!! Mixed it on medium speed for 10 min. It is full of bubbles.

I didn't use the full amount of milk and it is too soft to do the buttercream roses. I can add more sure but the bubbles are a huge issue.

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #132 of 178

I have to say, I get more rave reviews using Inydebi's recipe than any other. Just yesterday I made a sheet cake for an outdoor birthday party.....instead of milk I used French Vanilla half & half. The frosting turned out so creamy and I got many compliments. One woman told me she's a "cake snob", and it was the best frosting she'd ever tasted! Ha!

Thanks Indydebi!

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:23pm
post #133 of 178

What am I doing wrong? I've made this recipe twice and have had trouble both times. I have waited for about 1/2 hour and still couldn't use a paper towel to smooth my cake? It isn't crusting really at all???

texasgal4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasgal4 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #134 of 178

I noticed the recipe calls for 3T dream whip. How many Tablespoons are in one envelope of dream whip?

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #135 of 178

I use one envelope per recipe. Works great. thumbs_up.gif

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #136 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

What am I doing wrong? I've made this recipe twice and have had trouble both times. I have waited for about 1/2 hour and still couldn't use a paper towel to smooth my cake? It isn't crusting really at all???

I have had this problem also. But I ammm a newbie to cake decorating. I am wondering if it is because I am using 1 c butter and 1/3 c shortening (store brand)? Plain shortening icings give me a headache. Otherwise I follow the recipe. I do love the taste though. Any advice?

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #137 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

I have had this problem also. But I ammm a newbie to cake decorating. I am wondering if it is because I am using 1 c butter and 1/3 c shortening (store brand)? Plain shortening icings give me a headache. Otherwise I follow the recipe. I do love the taste though. Any advice?

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #138 of 178

I am one of indeby's fan for her buttercream recipe. I tried it last week the 23th of oct ,2009..for the first time and turned out GREAT! Thanks indeby....it taste good. and crust so fast.. a perfect buttercream recipe...im gonna used it again and again...thanks for sharing to us your recipe indeby...god bless you

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #139 of 178

I am one of indeby's fan for her buttercream recipe. I tried it last week the 23th of oct ,2009..for the first time and turned out GREAT! Thanks indeby....it taste good. and crust so fast.. a perfect buttercream recipe...im gonna used it again and again...thanks for sharing to us your recipe indeby...god bless you

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #140 of 178

I tried it the other day and was mostly happy with it, but I had a ton of tiny air bubbles in it which I couldn't get out, no matter how much I whipped it. Has anyone else had this issue and if so how do you deal with it?

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #141 of 178

HELP!HELP! I clicked on the link to find this recipe and it just takes me back to today's home page. Would you be so kind as to post it or the link again. I can't seem to find it in the frostings recipes. icon_cry.gif It sounds like THE BEST!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:22pm
post #142 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips

HELP!HELP! I clicked on the link to find this recipe and it just takes me back to today's home page. Would you be so kind as to post it or the link again. I can't seem to find it in the frostings recipes. icon_cry.gif It sounds like THE BEST!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #143 of 178

I am planning on trying this recipe for the first time this weekend and I as wondering if anyone has tried replacing the milk with water? If so, did it pretty much turn out the same?

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #144 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I tried it the other day and was mostly happy with it, but I had a ton of tiny air bubbles in it which I couldn't get out, no matter how much I whipped it. Has anyone else had this issue and if so how do you deal with it?

I had this problem, too, until I added all of the wet ingredients and mixed it thoroughly until there were no lumps and super smooth. Then, I mixed in the dream whip powder. Finally, I added in and mixed in the powdered sugar. When you put it together in this way you don't have to mix it as long as when you just dump it all in. That's where I would get the air bubble problem. Good luck.

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #145 of 178

I love this recipe. The second time I used it I tried making some alterations like switching water for the milk, etc. Don't do it. It is not the same recipe and will not be as good. This recipe is fantastic just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemissa

I am planning on trying this recipe for the first time this weekend and I as wondering if anyone has tried replacing the milk with water? If so, did it pretty much turn out the same?

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #146 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Quote:

I had this problem, too, until I added all of the wet ingredients and mixed it thoroughly until there were no lumps and super smooth. Then, I mixed in the dream whip powder. Finally, I added in and mixed in the powdered sugar. When you put it together in this way you don't have to mix it as long as when you just dump it all in. That's where I would get the air bubble problem. Good luck.

Thank you! I'll definitely try that. Other than the airbubble situation I liked how this buttercream handled! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #147 of 178
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Quote:

Thank you! I'll definitely try that. Other than the airbubble situation I liked how this buttercream handled! icon_biggrin.gif

I love this recipe and use it as my base, but have tweaked it due to some of the same issues raised on previous pages. I, too, mix wet ingredients including the shortening andthe Dream Whip. NOTE: I HAVE CUT THE DREAM WHIP TO NO MORE THAN TWO TABLESPOONS. THIS GIVES ME NO GRITTINESS NOR AIR BUBBLES. I JUST DON'T THINK IT NEEDS ALL THREE IN THERE. I use the full 1/2 cup of milk and when those first ingredients are creamy and smooth I add only 1lb of the sugar initially, incorporate it well then add the second pound. It takes less time to mix that way and cuts down on air bubbles.
edited for typo

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #148 of 178

After all these testimonials I'm definitely giving this a go. It sounds like it will taste really yummy and lighter with dream whip too. I just use my tried and true Wilton buttercream but yes - it's super bland and I even tried adding Wilton's butter flavoring to it but to me it made it taste funkyicon_smile.gif I'm going to try making a halloween cake tonight - gives me a reason to use my big box of dream whip tooicon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #149 of 178

Thank you Win!! I'm going to try it your way next time I make it. icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:16pm
post #150 of 178

sorry if this has been asked and I missed it... can this recipe be made/how does it turn out if you use all butter and no shortening? I know it won't hold up in the heat, but if that isn't a consideration....?

I'm planning to try it today, but prefer not to use shortening.

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%