Indydebi's Buttercream-A"testimonial"!!!

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 30 Aug 2017 , 6:02pm by calicopurr

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 178

I made a cake for a friend's granddaughter's first communion. I had been wanting to try Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream, and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to experiment, because my friend is pretty open to anything. I asked her if I could try it, and that it was supposed to stand up well to heat and humidity. (It's in the 80s and sunny here today.)

Well she called me while ago to tell me the cake was a success. Her granddaughter was excited to have her own cake and it tasted really good. My friend went on to say that while they ate in the restaurant, the left the cake in the TRUNK OF THE CAR! And, yes, the icing held up just fine.

Thanks, Indydebi. I'll be using that recipe again!

177 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 178

hye i just tired that recipe too and i think it's fantastic! light and fluffy but stiff at the same time (holds up well) and very nice to smooth-next time i'm trying the viva method to get it perfect!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

... while they ate in the restaurant, the left the cake in the TRUNK OF THE CAR! And, yes, the icing held up just fine.

wow, that even impresses ME! Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 178

I like it, too. I was having trouble with the grittiness, so I warmed up the milk a bit and dissolved the dream whip in that and voila, no more grit. Oh and I beat the living heck outta it for awhile and it was smooth as a baby's butt and iced beautifully

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 178

I need this recipe please. Where can I find it or can someone email it to me? TIA

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 178

I tried it last week for the 1st time, wont ever use another one again! Her icing is the best! Mine however melted in a tupperware container in the kitchen slightly, it just got a little shiny, but to be honest I didnt care, it was still yummy & it was for my hubbys b-day! And I'm guilty of eating her frosting right out of a spoon when Ive finished using what I need out of it icon_biggrin.gif

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 178

i have gone back and forth between Debi's and one other recipe and Debi always wins hands down!!! My best friends birthday, i used her BC and my dad who hates sweets asked if there was anymore cake left!! so all in told, that is at a party of 14, thats 28 thumbs up!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 178

Yep. I've PM'd her (and wrote a testimonial) for Debi's BC after I used it the first time and have not used anything since. I warm my liquid as well and actually cream everything together before I add the sugar for a smooth, easy-to-work-with BC. Instead of milk, I've been using the Italian Cream Coffee Creamer --OVER THE TOP YUMMY!!! Thanks, Debi!

indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I need this recipe please. Where can I find it or can someone email it to me? TIA

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 178

Never mind I just found it

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 178

I want use anything else but deb's. Had a wedding yesterday 85 degrees and the cake held up beautifully. I even gave my sister the recipe because her daughter was selling cupcakes at the ball park. There was another lady selling cupcakes and her icing must have been from the 'tub' and everyone kept saying that it was almost sliding off the cake. My sister was worried about being in the sun for so many hours with the icing, it got soft but didn't break down icon_wink.gif and she even got repeat customers for the icing alone. THANKS DEB...

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 178

I LOVE her icing. Now whenever I have the Wilton recipe, it tastes like just plain sugar and lard to me. YUCK!!

And I have used this recipe A LOT. I put in butter, almond and vanilla extracts. Everyone raves about it. I think I have gotten quite a few orders based on this icing! But that could be from my yummy cake or awesome talent too! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

On a side note......

For business sense indydebi is the BEST!!! She tells it like it is while still allowing others to feel comfortable about asking. I respect this woman as much for her business savvy as her amazing icing. icon_wink.gif

Someday when I decide to grow up, I want to be just like her! icon_rolleyes.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 178

Everyone loved it on my cake yesterday!

I made some wonderful flowers to place on cupcakes with it and they dried very nicely.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 178

Can this icing be used on a cake if the cake can't be refrigerated for 3 days? The reason I'm asking is I see there is milk in the recipe and I don't have room to refrigerate my cakes.
Thanks,
Sandy

pastryjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 178

It would be fine for 3 days - probably even longer.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #16 of 178

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try!!!!! I was afraid the milk would sour and make the icing taste bad. I appreciate your quick response.
Sandy

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #17 of 178

I've left it for longer than three days, and it was fine! If you're worried, use soy milk or rice milk or water mixed with coffee creamer, etc. There's no law that says you HAVE to use milk. Indydebi wouldn't mind! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #18 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

I've left it for longer than three days, and it was fine!

Me too. way longer.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #19 of 178

I used this icing for the first time last weekend. Had a 3 tiered bday cake to do for a party with 40 people. I made a 10, 8 & 6in. layer. The cake was totally consumed. I couldn't believe it. Everybody loved the icing. Wasn't too sweet, just right. Even used it for the flowers on it... was so easy to work with. thumbs_up.gif I'm hooked for life on it.
Thanks Indydebi

mellee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #20 of 178

Whoa! Guess what I just did?! Well, all this talk about Indydebi's frosting made me want to make some. I made my first batch last month and LOVED it. This time I wanted to alter the way I made it just a bit. So I put the milk and extracts in the mixer bowl along with a pinch of salt, stirred, then added all the sugar at once and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I covered the kitchen aid with a towel and turned it on "stir." The sugar was almost immediately incorporated, and I had no mess! I turned up to 2 and mixed for a couple of minutes. Then I added my shortening and incorporated it well. I scraped down the bowl and then whipped on medium speed for 5 minutes. It came out delicious, as usual, and much less gritty than the first time I had made it. (Gritty to me is that feeling of powdered sugar scrunching ever so slightly between my teeth.)

So I sat down to eat a few spoonfuls icon_biggrin.gif, when whoa! I remembered that I FORGOT to add the Dream Whip! I considered adding it and rewhipping it, but I wasn't sure what that would do, so I said screw it. I ate a few MORE spoonfuls until I was good and sick, just the way I like it. icon_biggrin.gif Then I packed it away airtight.

Well, while I was clearing up the kitchen and loading the dishwasher with the dishes I'd just dirtied plus stuff that didn't fit in from the night before, I figured I might have made a "less than best" recipe that wouldn't crust. I started the dishwasher and gabbed on the phone for 10 minutes and then realized that I hadn't washed the kitchen aid paddle. When I went to take it off, I found that the icing on it had crusted BEAUTIFULLY!

Now I'm confused. I always thought it was the Dream Whip that made such a good crusting recipe. But now I'm thinking it's a delicate combination of sugar to fat to liquid in just the right amounts. Delicious, no matter how you look at it! icon_smile.gif But here's what I'm wondering...... Has anyone else ever made this WITHOUT the Dream Whip? If so, what did you think? If it came out great and worked just as well, that would be ONE LESS ingredient to buy!

Yep, it is a GREAT recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us, Indydebi. icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #21 of 178

From what I understand, the dream whip helps with the emulsification - when crisco went transfat free there was a lot of separation with the traditional crusting BC's but this one doesn't separate.

mellee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #22 of 178

Ah........thank you for that tip! And since I don't use Crisco but do use a store brand that still contains transfat, I guess from what you're saying I don't need the Dream Whip after all! Thanks!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #23 of 178

No more dust storms!!?!?! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

mellee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #24 of 178

Nope! About half of the sugar had gotten "wet," and wrapping a towel around the kitchen aid took care of any tiny cloud that come up from the rest. The sugar was incorporated within a minute or less! One I'd mixed it up a bit, I let it sit to continue to get "wet," i.e., dissolve a bit. It worked GREAT! icon_smile.gif

mellee Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #25 of 178

By the way, I should mention that I made the spreadable one with the full amount of milk: 1/2 cup.

simpgra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simpgra Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #26 of 178
Quote:

I've left it for longer than three days, and it was fine! If you're worried, use soy milk or rice milk or water mixed with coffee creamer, etc. There's no law that says you HAVE to use milk. Indydebi wouldn't mind! icon_smile.gif

I would like to try this using the creamer...how much would you use?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #27 of 178

I love it!! It is the only buttercream recipe for me! I have used almost 2 years now and never had a problem. Oklahoma is a humid place to be...it is perfect everytime! Thanks Debi!!!

pastryjen Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #28 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpgra

Quote:

I would like to try this using the creamer...how much would you use?

Use whatever you need - 1/3 - 1/2 cup...or 1/4 creamer and 1/4 milk. Play with it and see what you like best.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #29 of 178

I thought crisco was transfat free?

pastryjen Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #30 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

I thought crisco was transfat free?

It is now...didn't used to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%