I Am Having Such An Off Day Today

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm by Cheyanne25

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 12

Made a double batch of my chocolate cake for a carved cake that I was going to do. First, it nearly exploded out of my mixing bowl. I know I've made a double batch of this recipe in it before. Then, it overflowed in pan while cooking. What a flippin mess. I always put 12 cups of batter in this pan...never had a problem before. Tasted a piece and nearly wanted to gag. Something totally went awry! Made another one, but this time I decided to just bring in an 8 inch round to work. I put in my 3 cups of batter and the center sunk a little. It's not even with the top of the pan like it normally is. Haven't tasted it yet, so I'm hoping it tastes okay.

Then I made some white chocolate mousse. This is just for work and I thought I would try this mousse mix (yeah, I normally make from scratch but wanted to try something different.). It tastes very manufactured like...box like...almost plasticy.

What in the heck is going on today. Anyone else having baking issues? I'm frustrated. I've gone over all my ingredients to make sure I didn't use cornstarch instead of baking powder, etc. Everything is exactly the same as I always do...this recipe has been fail proof for years!

Just needed to vent icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 12

Seriously, I'm calling it guits today. I tested the cakes in several spots and the toothpick came out clean everywhere! Took them, let them cool off, flipped them out and the sides of the cake are gooey! WTF? I'm calling it a day. I guess work won't get a cake tomorrow!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 12

i made a carrot cake on friday, was so excited. only as i go to make cupcakes after taking it out the oven, i see the brown sugar on my worktop. the brown sugar i never added!
so i figure, a sugar syrup will help.
then i go to make the maple icing. and as i pour my maple (thankfully, not right into the bowl) its somehow gone mouldy! so it suddenly becomes orange juice icing!
and fo good measure, i stick some oj on the cake too. mmm, maybe too much liquid! thankfully, its not turned to mush, its just a bit over moist.
i have had that too. cake meets all standards of cooked, but just goes all wrong when it comes out!
sometimes it just doesnt go to plan!
xx

Trixyinaz Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 12

Sounds like you had a day like me, but not as bad. The 2nd set of cakes went right into the garbage. Took one taste and it was GROSS! I figured out what I did wrong...the receipe calls for 2 tsp eas of salt, baking soda and baking powder. I put in 2 TABLESPOONS of each. NO WONDER!

But the thing that irks me is I had the recipe out and had looked it over several times to make sure I didn't leave anything out. I've made this recipe hundreds of times. I'm not sure how I could have made such a HUGE mistake! Totally explains why the batter puffed up so much in my mixer and then spilled over into my oven while cooking.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:58am
post #5 of 12

Yup, it happens every so often. I just had so many isues doing my elmo cake this past weekend. It was like my 5th one, but things kept going wrong!! I was super clumsy to beging with. His rice krispie head was getting some cracks in the fondant, I guess b/c I didn't let it set enough. I airbrushed it a little too dark, I made his nose a little too big, I wished I had carved his body a little smaller....etc etc. Of course the client did love it even though I could see a lot of flaws. It was elmo with dorothy in her fishbowl...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 12

Oh goodness... we've all been there. I had such a bad baking day a few months ago I just wanted to stuff my head in the flour bucket and say good bye cruel world. It was choaolate cake too. I think I mixed up the amounts of baking soda and baking powder... it was EVERYWHERE in that oven.

It will pass... take a little break and the baking gremlin will move on to a new victim. icon_lol.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 12

i HATE the whole tea spoons/ table spoons thing, i have made that mistake so many times, usually without disatrous results, more things like flavouring and syrups, so it just came out different. no matter how many times i check, i can still get it wrong!
xx

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 12

I blame all of life's messups on Daylight Savings Time...

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 12

I made a white cake with sour cream in it. Came highly recommended and thought I would try it, might be like WASC cake on here and everyone seems to like/use it. My cake came out like rubber. All bouncey and everything. I would think I had used jello or something. It was excessively moist but not raw like and rubbery WTF Is it a full moon or what?

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 12

First, overslept. Was behind getting finished with a cake. Finally got it delivered. Go to get in my car, it won't start. I was at the clients house for an hour and a half until my son came and got me. Went home to bake a 12 inch chocolate cake. Everything was going great until I went to get it out of the oven. As I was lifting it out, I hit the pan on the top of the oven, it flipped out of my hand and landed upside down inside the oven. Cake went everywhere. Nothing smells worse that burnt chocolate. I'm glad to know everyone else has days like that.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 12

mamacc, can you post a pic of the elmo with the fish bowl? My girlfriend wants me to make it for her son's bday and I had no idea what she was talking about when she mentioned the fishbowl, I only know elmo. thanks

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 12

So far today has gone well cake-wise, but yesterday was another story. I made a chocolate fudge cake, I had used the exact same recipe just last week and it had turned out like a dream. I only needed a single batch, but decided to go with a double and have an extra cake to freeze. Sure....

So I get them in the oven, and sure enough about 20 minutes in, all I can smell is burnt chocolate. I quickly grab a sheet pan to put under it, to at least stop it from hitting the bottom of the oven. Find out later the middle of both cakes SANK horribly, probably because I had to open the oven to add the sheet pan. Take them out, and they are both horribly gooey in the middle (despite having passed the tooth pick test). So they are both scraped.

This time I've only got enough ingredients left to make one batch lol. Didn't go quite as bad, but it still sunk in the middle.... pfft some days cakes just done want to cooperate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%