What Type Of Cake?!!

Decorating By arliae9701 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm by brincess_b

arliae9701 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my first wedding cake and the bride wants strawberry but evertime I use a box mix the cake is very flimsy and you can't shape it? Please help!!

4 replies
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 5

What do you mean by "flimsy"?
What do you mean by "shape it"? (are you carving this cake?)
What brand of cake mix do you usually use?
Do you add anything to the cake mix or do you follow box directions?

arliae9701 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

by flimsy I mean breaks easy and by shape I mean carve. I have used all brands and I follow the directions exactly.

indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 5

I dont' do carved cakes, so I will let the experienced CC'ers come in with advice on that, but I can share that from what I've read on here, a carved cake needs to be really firm and solid, not "light and fluffy" like a cake mix usually is. (In my experience, I stopped using Duncan Hines years ago ... like 20+ years ago .... because it was TOO 'light and fluffy' for me.)

Some have said adding an extra egg and a box of pudding to a cake mix makes it a bit more firmer .... I've no idea if it will be firm enough for carving.

If you can change your subject line on this thread to "what type of cake for carving?" you might get some better responses than mine.

What kind of wedding cake style is she wanting that needs carved? Sounds interesting!

brincess_b Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 5

if you want to use box mixes, you need to modify it. most people on here use the wasc recipe, in the ecipe section. it wont be as fluffy, but thats the trade off. apparently it still tastes great.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%