Two Questions...need Help

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm by poohsmomma

bakermommy4 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

First question is that I'm having the hardest time finding a really good crusting buttercream that will mix up smoothly. Can someone help me and maybe lead me to a great crusting recipe?

Next...I need to know....what kind of wires are those that I see on several different cakes that have stars or hearts or other things like that. Maybe I'm not being clear but, I thought it was some sort of florist wire...but I tried that and my fondant hearts just fell over...I could not keep the wires in an upright position....HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

THANX YA'LL!!!

4 replies
Mme_K Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 5

For a good crusting buttercream, try Indydebi's recipe here on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

I've had great success with it and people love it. I make sure I whip it a long time, it comes out nice & white & tastey!
As far as the wires go, try putting a straw or coffee stir stick in the cake, then sliding the wires into that. Secure it with a dab of RI so the wire doesn't flop around.

HTH

bakermommy4 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Mme_K...as soon as I finished reading your post...a light bulb went off over my head like ummmm duh that makes sooo much sense.

brincess_b Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

the wire is floristry wire. how well it stands up also depnds on the guage of the wire. if it is to high a number (too thin) then it will not be able to support anything. most people use between a 16 and 24 guage wire. the heavier the object, the lower number (thicker wire) you need, and it depends whether you want it to stay straight, or bend slightly.
xx

poohsmomma Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 5

You've got to go with Indydebi's recipe. I just posted a "testimonial" on the Cake Decorating thread. It works great and is really smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%