Will Never Buy From Home Baker

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm by ntertayneme

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 353

Last week I attended a wedding. It was a chocolate cake. I ate the cake and I could see the Broken egg shells. The mother in law made the cake.

It was gross.

352 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 353

"Will never buy from home baker"....whew, are you gonna piss off some folks with that one! Home baker licensed? Home baker under the radar? So the mother in law made the cake..ok, as a gift? Did she sell it to the bride? I can see egg shells ending up in a professional kitchen just as easily, what with the amount of eggs being cracked into those huge Hobarts. Maybe it was an honest to God mistake, and gross indeed....but perhaps you should amend the title of your thread? Maybe?....just a suggestion..a small one. icon_smile.gif

Thank goodness for home based bakeries with people that know what the heck they are doing! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 353

Egg shells =never buy from a home baker? icon_confused.gif That makes no sense.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 353

Its a egg shell. Get over it.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 353

Ok no comment

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 353

O Lawd! Here we go ... AGAIN! =(

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 353

An egg shell, to me, is not the end of the world. At least it wasn't something totally gross, like a bug or something. I agree with the other posts, that a "home baker" has nothing to do with getting an egg shell in the cake batter. Obviously, the OP has never working in the restaurant industry, where an egg shell is the least of worries.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Ok no comment

DITTO icon_confused.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 353

the bride didn't get charged extra for the extra protein(I ask, where is the 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule and why doesn't it apply to protein????) in the cake, did she? au naturale...it's the latest craze! At least it was cooked egg shell and not like laying on top...that would be EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 353

ohhhh.....how I want to comment.....but I did take my meds today so I will be nice.

I don't have time to fuss anyway....I have to go bake in my home bakery kitchen....

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 353

Do u think that means they will never bake themselves a cake at home either?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 353

That's a *mighty* broad swipe you just took against some mighty fine people icon_sad.gif MIL does not = a good hobby baker/decorator!

Let's not take such broad generalities........come on now, have YOU never, ever had an egg shell get in any of your cooking??????????

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 353

So by the same reasoning you'll never buy from a store butcher because sometimes bone will get in the ground meat. The health department says that as long as it's a 'natural' part of the ingredients there's nothing they can do about it. Egg shells in the cake and bone fragments in the meat are ok, but not a person's fake fingernail or real fingernail for that matter or an earring or diamond from their ring.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 353

r u sure it was egg shells and not just finely chopped nuts or something??

even if it was just egg shell, at least thats all it was and not something totally un-edible. And as far as ' never buying from a home baker' goes, i think youve got some nerve to say that, the same thing could happen in a bakery, or a supermarket, or in any ones kitchen. egg shell. Big deal. get over it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 353

OP, there's really no need to be obnoxious. You could have just said, "I'll never buy a cake from a sloppy baker who doesn't use care in her baking practices." Unless you're bored today and just wanted to stir up sh*t for no good reason.

These kinds of posts sure take the fun out of this site.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 353

Aw, you guys must not know about the rule that says home bakers must include egg shells in their cakes! icon_lol.gif

(sarcasm, of course)

shelly-101 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #17 of 353

OK i am going to hijack this thread just cause i feel like it.

hey solascakes yesterday we were talking about body snatching i gave it a lot of thought last night and i think you need to ask your parents if you have a twin that they gave up because i was adopted and i have heard of these things happening....lol...

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #18 of 353

I agree with Ruth. What a stupid generalization to make.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 353

Personally I would MUCH rather have a little egg shell in my cake than the LONG BLACK hair I got in the last store bought one!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Last week I attended a wedding. It was a chocolate cake. I ate the cake and I could see the Broken egg shells. The mother in law made the cake.

It was gross.

Okay, assuming that you a cake baker or decorator, what if someone found an eggshell or worse in one of your bundt cakes or some other food product that you made in your home kitchen, and then said "I will never buy from a home baker", How would that made you feel? I think your subject line should be modified, because alot of us on this site have home based businesses or store front bakeries and will take offense to this.

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

Personally I would MUCH rather have a little egg shell in my cake than the LONG BLACK hair I got in the last store bought one!

Oh, gag!! I think I just threw up in my mouth a little!!!

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 353

swine flu or egg shell in my cake. Hmm I think I could get over it.

MandCsMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandCsMOM Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 353

Ok, I am new to this board, so I will watch my comments...lol. I can not believe you are that upset over an egg shell! I worked in a fast food place, that used real eggs. There were times, that someone got a piece of shell in their breakfast. Sorry, but it does happen, even in commercial places.
If you think about it, the FDA approves a certain amount of rodent droppings, and roach pieces in so many things.... now that is gross! Not a little egg shell.

You statement is very broad, and includes people who have never had an egg problem, or any other problem. So maybe you might rethink your comment.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #24 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

ohhhh.....how I want to comment.....but I did take my meds today so I will be nice.

I don't have time to fuss anyway....I have to go bake in my home bakery kitchen....

You our friend, are the funniest thing around! When I see your post - I always know I'm gonna get a smile!! Thanx for that! Us "home bakers" can always use a smile or two to get thru our daze!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #25 of 353

shelly101 will ask my mum,I don't trust her now, there some conspiracy going on somewhere. To the op,

STILL NO COMMENT.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #26 of 353

I think post like this are done just to get a negatve response. It seems like we have some forum post just to get people riled up. I think these post should be ignored.

By the way, I going to my kitchen right now to fix brownies for my kids to take to school tomorrow for a treat. GASP icon_eek.gif .......hope the kids and teachers aren't aganist eating brownies from a home kitchen. I think NOT!! icon_wink.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #27 of 353

I am a home baker! icon_sad.gif At least the egg shell was cooked! LOL! thumbs_up.gif

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #28 of 353

So yeah, a little ticked about this thread....I'm a licensed home baker... icon_evil.gif

Hey, my dad works for Frito Lay and I can tell you what IS in your corn chips!!! Believe me, it is WAY worse than eggshell in your cake! icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #29 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

I think post like this are done just to get a negatve response. It seems like we have some forum post just to get people riled up. I think these post should be ignored.

By the way, I going to my kitchen right now to fix brownies for my kids to take to school tomorrow for a treat. GASP icon_eek.gif .......hope the kids and teachers aren't aganist eating brownies from a home kitchen. I think NOT!! icon_wink.gif

I think you're right. After posting my response, it occurred to me that the CC community should make a vow collectively to simply ignore these kinds of posts in the future. If you read a post that is clearly intended to offend or that appears to not really be asking any legitimate question, let's just not respond and let it die from neglect. I'm going to make that my new policy.

shelly-101 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #30 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

So yeah, a little ticked about this thread....I'm a licensed home baker... icon_evil.gif

Hey, my dad works for Frito Lay and I can tell you what IS in your corn chips!!! Believe me, it is WAY worse than eggshell in your cake! icon_lol.gif

NOOOOO.......those are my favorite icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%