Does Anyone Do This??

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm by sophie691

Cathy26 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, on my quest to perfect my fondant covered cakes to prepare for my first wedding cake ive been trying some new things.

In Peggy Porschens books she covers ALL cakes not just fruit cake with a layer of marzipan to get a really smooth finish under the fondant. this made me think could you just put two layers of fondant? i must admit i had to do this a couple of times when i accidentally rolled my fondant too thin and the cover was awful so i just put another layer of fondant over the top and it was far better - really smooth. the only thing that is harder is to trim the bottom for some reason as it doesnt stick and mould to the bottom of the cake so well - i was just wondering does anyone do this and is it a good idea for a wedding cake??

Also if i use really thick fondant i also get a better cover but similarly the base is awful to trim as it wont mould the same as thin fondant - such a dilema - a good cover or a neat edge???? - grrrrrrrrr!!

4 replies
katwomen1up Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

No, most people don't like fondant and the cost and time to me it's not worth it. It's all about choice. If I rolled it too thin I would have taken it off. How thick is your fondant normally, what is thick, 1/4 inch is thick to me I like to stay around a 1/8". How smooth it is also has to do with how much BC you're covering the cake with, too much and it doesn't look right, it bulges. JMO

Kat

Cathy26 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 5

1/8 thick is very thin for me, no matter what i do i get bulges and bumps even though the cake was scrapped down smooth. i dont know what im doing wrong its so frustrating when you try so hard and still have bumps and bulges - the books just all say the same so im not really getting anywhere.

do you trim your cakes round with a knife to get them completely smooth? perhaps i should try this now seeing as ive tried other things. i think my madeira cake would trim nicely but im not sure about the chocolate as its quite soft - maybe trimming them is the secret??

bashini Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, I wouldn't cover the cake with two layers of fondant. You shouldn't roll it out too thin as well. Try to get the bc very smooth. It should be a bit more thicker than a crumbcoat.

I tried covering the cake with gananche and it really turned out really well. The ganache should be a spreadable consistancy. icon_smile.gif

sophie691 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 5

What about a clay chocolate before the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%