Frosting Question...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm by Elise87

Elise87 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:17am
post #1 of 13

I'm sorry for this question but i am new to all these frosting recipes, but i was wondering is there any other type of buttercream besides the simple one (icing sugar, butter, flavouring and milk) that is good but will also crust the same as the simple one? Any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #2 of 13

There is the cream cheese frosting that will crust. I believe Edna has a recipe on her website.

Melnick Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:44am
post #3 of 13

I only use the simple one because I just make them for my family. But if you have a look in the recipe section you'll find tonnes of recipes for buttercream and if you just do a general search on the site I think you'll find heaps of threads where they talk about what the various buttercreams do.

Melnick Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:45am
post #4 of 13

Oh yeah - when they talk about Crisco that equates to Copha for us

Elise87 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:55am
post #5 of 13

yeh i see alot have things in them that i have no idea where to get and yes alot say crisco in them, thats like a vegetable fat or something isn't it? The problem is i really don't want to use that since it seems so unhealthy, but so many recipes have it, i guess i am just being fussy icon_sad.gif

Elise87 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:01am
post #6 of 13

i'm so sorry to pop in another question while i think of it cose i know people are always asking these question all the time but could i use margarine in buttercreams? Would that be an ok substitute for butter? Could it be a substitute for that copha/crisco? Sorry i am clueless lol

sweetjan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:01am
post #7 of 13

The cream cheese icing as mentioned ahead of me is quite good and does crust. I'll send the recipe if you can't find it.

Melnick Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:11am
post #8 of 13

I have to admit the biggest reason I haven't tried adding the copha (vegetable fat) is because I hate the thought of adding that extra fat to the recipe too! Evidentally though, that is what causes the buttercream to crust. I don't think you can substitute margarine for butter. It doesn't seem to taste right on the times I have tried it.

Harleyfan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #9 of 13

Hi Elise87:

Crisco is an all natural pure vegetable oil, which is essentially just soybean oil, and there is shortening, which is very commonly used in baking. It is softly solidified with soybean oil, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, hydrated of both oils, and a couple of other things (glycerides and antioxidants). It is intended for use as a substitute for butter or margarine and has 50% less saturated fat that butter. Most people use whichever of the products that they favor the most; some for taste, cosistency, color, etc or any combination thereof. I use Crisco when I want a really white frosting. Othewise, if I'm going to color it, I use butter because I just prefer it. However, Crisco does not make it taste bad... not by a long shot. icon_smile.gif

I apologize if, while writing this, I'm duplicating someone else.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll make it just great!!

~Harleyfan

trudyohearn Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #10 of 13

The covo you were asking about is "covo sm". It is an emulsified vegetable shortening product, usually available at restaurant and baking supply stores. Regular types of shortening will not work in french or swiss buttercreams because they don't get the volume and stability needed. It is best to use the covo with half portion of butter and half portion of margarine. If you use straight butter, your buttercream will not hold up when it hits room temperature. hope this helps

Harleyfan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:33am
post #11 of 13

Elise87:

Trudyohearn makes a great point.. thank you! My response was for what you asked originally about the basic buttercream recipe. However, I've never had a problem with basic buttercream, with butter, not holding up at room temperature.

Always learning,
~Harleyfan icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:51am
post #12 of 13

Elise -

Please do not think that you have to apologize for asking a question. We were all in your shoes once, some of us 30 years ago, some of us a month ago. Were it not for all of us having someone to guide us, we would all still be just as confused right now.

And don't forget to check the articles section on the homepage or do a search in the forums section when you need answers. Many newbie FAQs have already been discussed on several occasions, so the answers are at your fingertips - no waiting for a reply.

And welcome to CC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Theresa, i just get a bit confused over what some recipes use and sometimes the differences here in australia and what's easily available etc lol The funny thing is that i have actually started doing my first couple of cakes in fondant and now i am going backwards to buttercream lol

I have made the basic buttercream once for my cupcakes and i just used the butter and it crusted and held up alright and thats as much as i have done....and it's excellent for piping flowers too icon_smile.gif

ok so basically crisco and shortening is just a substitute for butter in other recipes.....Oh deary me i am going around in circles lol

Thanks for the help Melnick, harleyfan and trudyohearn about the explations and advice and rylan and sweetjam for the creamcheese recipe suggestion thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%