Cookie Question

Baking By ilikeitdark Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:20pm by kerris3

ilikeitdark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilikeitdark Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 18

Can anyone help...I have been having the hardest time making the white chocolate smooth on my buttercream cookies before decorating them. Are there any tricks to dipping these cookies so they look smooth?

17 replies
ilikeitdark Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 18

omg i said buttercream cookies---i meant sugar cookies. LOL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 18

I've only covered cookies in white chocolate once. I made sure the chocolate was nice and hot, as it just flows better. It's not a covering that is easy to smooth out. Have you tried making candy clay out of it? You could then roll it out, cut it with the cutters you used to make the cookies, and apply it to the cookies like you would fondant. Then, you could add some details with melted chocolate in decorating bags. Just a thought.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 18

what about thinning the white chocolate so it's more of a ganache? It might be easier to dip that way....

ilikeitdark Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 18

GeminiRJ--I have never used candy clay, does it taste like fondant? I am assuming it rolls out just like fondant too? Thanks for the help bonniebakes---will try thinning the chocolate.

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeitdark

GeminiRJ--I have never used candy clay, does it taste like fondant? I am assuming it rolls out just like fondant too? Thanks for the help bonniebakes---will try thinning the chocolate.

Think Tootsie Roll...at least when you use the chocolate Wilton CandyMelts. You melt the chocolate and mix in cornsyrup. I can't remember the amount of cornsyrup to add. I've used it to make candy roses, and I know that other decorators have used it like fondant when decorating cookies.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 18

Think Tootsie Roll...at least when you use the chocolate Wilton CandyMelts. You melt the chocolate and mix in cornsyrup. I can't remember the amount of cornsyrup to add. I've used it to make candy roses, and I know that other decorators have used it like fondant when decorating cookies.[/quote]

When you use the tootsie rolls, how do you get it to a fondant like consistency?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 18

White chocolate clay is soooooo yummie. It works similar to fondant but taste sooooo yummie. I prefer to use chocolate clay to fondant on cookies. It works really well both in taste and workability. If you are glazing the cookies in white chocolate, a tight ganache works great! HTH

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 18

Candy melt clay - 1.5 oz corn syrup to every 6 oz candy melts (or about 1/4 cup per 14 0z bag) - Melt candy melts completely - stir in corn syrup - mix/knead until most of the oil is worked out - wrap in plastic wrap - let rest 8 hours - knead to working consistency

kerris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerris3 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 18

If you are talking about using a thin icing, I use a white chocolate icing for dipping sugar cookies and I pour it thru a strainer first. This removes any little pieces of powdered sugar that didn't mixed up. I stir it slowly to avoid air bubbles. I also keep it as warm as possible and usually dip them twice, letting it cool between dips. If you've added food coloring to your icing, be careful not to let the icing get too hot or the color gets all funky when it dries.

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Think Tootsie Roll...at least when you use the chocolate Wilton CandyMelts. You melt the chocolate and mix in cornsyrup. I can't remember the amount of cornsyrup to add. I've used it to make candy roses, and I know that other decorators have used it like fondant when decorating cookies.

When you use the tootsie rolls, how do you get it to a fondant like consistency?[/quote]

You don't use Tootsie Rolls...it just kinda tastes like tootsie rolls. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that! Rushing to get it posted before the boss walked by!

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that! Rushing to get it posted before the boss walked by!

Shame on you, Gemini icon_razz.gif Now get back to work icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ilikeitdark Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #13 of 18

Thank you all for your great ideas--looks like I have a busy weekend ahead!

ilikeitdark Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #14 of 18

oh forgot....kerris3--are you mixing in powdered sugar with your white chocolate?

kerris3 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 18

Sorry for the delay ilikeitdark....yes, mine has powdered sugar, white chocolate chips, corn syrup water and vanilla.

kendraskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraskitchen Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 18

I've never thought of using candy clay on cookies but what an awesome and yummy idea! Thanks!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 18

i'd love your recipe kerris3. The last time i tried chocolate clay with just chocolate and corn syrup, it was so sticky that i could just barely get it out of the plastic bag to knead. It wasn't even a dough-like consistence. It was a sticky goo.

kerris3 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 18

luv2bake6....I will gladly post my White Chocolate Icing recipe, but it is definitley just for dipping. Very thin and runny.
I'll try and post it tonight when I get home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%