Sad Confession. I Am World's Laziest Small Business Owner...

Business By snarkybaker Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm by jammjenks

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #1 of 18

I actually hired a ghost facebooker, twitterer for the business. Truth be told, at the end of the day, I just don't have anything clever to say (or type) . We have such an enormous following amongst college aged people and most brides are internet fanatics, I just hired someone to do all of our social networking as soon as we launch the new web site. ( My summer project)

17 replies
Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 18

don't feel bad, alot of ppl hire asst. for that, they're just to busy to keep up with it.
do you think Duff answers emails, of course not, that's why Mary Alice has a job.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 18

Hmmmm.....how do we know it is really you now LOL.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Hmmmm.....how do we know it is really you now LOL.

icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #5 of 18

Meh - lots of businesses do that, small or otherwise.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 18

Oh - that is sad that you *think* like that.
What if you *think* - "gee, i am soooo busy being a small business owner that i require a ghost writter.

How we *think* is how we see life.

I wouldn't think that it is any different to someone hiring someone to clean their home - mow their lawns - do their weekly ironing.

If having a ghost writter is what works for you - then feel happy that at least something is being written.

Doesn't make you a bad or sad business person - makes you business savvy. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 18

Maybe it's just that "superwoman " thing that we all face, but I somehow feel like I am failing by turning something as critical as branding to somebody else. Maybe it's there is so much of my blood and sweat in our store, or maybe I'm just a little nuts, but everytime I delegate something more important than say...cutting brownies, I freak out a little.

( actually written by snarky baker)

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

I actually hired a ghost facebooker, twitterer for the business. Truth be told, at the end of the day, I just don't have anything clever to say (or type) . We have such an enormous following amongst college aged people and most brides are internet fanatics, I just hired someone to do all of our social networking as soon as we launch the new web site. ( My summer project)

I don't think that makes you lazy at all. I think it makes you a smart business person - knowing HOW to delegate and WHAT to delegate. By leaving the computer networking to someone else, that allows you time to focus on the bigger business issues - product, payroll, customer service, etc. The downfall of many small businesses is that the owners don't know how to delegate and can't give up control of even the most minor issues and ultimately they get so bogged down and buried they can't get out from under the pile.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 18

I don't think you're lazy, I think you're efficient!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 18

Is always good to delegate!..That's the best way to run a business!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 18

Don't be too hard on yourself, Snarky.... now, if you have someone hired to read these replies out loud to you... we will need to talk! LOL icon_lol.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 18

It's called DOL -division of labour.Nothing wrong in that.

tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 18

I wonder if I could do the same with my cakes!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, your cakes are too beautiful to delegate to someone else! I was just thinking I'd like to delegate my cake decorating to you icon_wink.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 18

ACtually, I think that makes you an incredibly savvy businesswoman. NEVER underestimate the power of marketing. My husband does this for a living, and constantly shakes his head at people who, in a push to handle all of their own business and contract out as little as possible, end up sacrificing quality (use hand-drawn sketches they made themselves as logos instead of cleaning them up first, without any consideration to layout, colors, and just how gosh-darn busy a logo can look if not constructed carefully). Not to criticize the many people who do their own marketing ... my point is just that, if you realize you cannot do it effectively, then by all means, give it to somebody who can!!! You've already identified how important blogging and twittering is to your target audience, good for you for using it to its maximum effect!

tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, your cakes are too beautiful to delegate to someone else! I was just thinking I'd like to delegate my cake decorating to you icon_wink.gif

Ok...as long as you stack and bake, fill, crumbcoat and second coat!

Edna icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 18

i'm old, can someone explain twitter to me?

you just put lil blogs on about clever stuff you're doing...and it mails them to people who subscribe to you. or something?

i thought i better sign up...since "all the cool peeps are doin it"...well i did..and don't know what to do....it's not like myspace, or yahoo messenger.

DUH

getting old and outta touch, i guess that's what i get for not letting grampy touch the remote control in the 90's...(he'd just start punching all the buttons until something worked, one time he recorded the ball game he was watching, over a video i had made that was important to me...it was like a seinfeld episode)

wandered off topic again...like the folfs tend to do.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 18

Now that my 6 year old DD is learning to read, I may just put her to work being my ghost writer. Now we'll just have to work on her typing skills. icon_lol.gif

Sounds like a good summer job for her, don't ya think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%