Store Royal Icing?

Decorating By mrsunknown Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm by Cakepro

mrsunknown Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if it is possible to store royal icing and if so where, how and for how long? TIA
icon_confused.gif

10 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #2 of 11

Royal Icing can be stored on your countertop for a good amount of time. Keep your plastic wrap pressed against the surface to contact with air, and remember to re-beat it before using.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 11

It is best kept at room temp in a tightly covered glass container for a couple of weeks. Do NOT use plastic. And yes, re-beat before using.

dmhart Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It is best kept at room temp in a tightly covered glass container for a couple of weeks. Do NOT use plastic. And yes, re-beat before using.

What happens with plastic containers? Just for future referrence. I normally use mine within 24 - 36 hours. Or I make a new batch.

solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 11

I'll also like to know what happens with pkastic, i store mine in plastic with a lid and in the frigde.

PinkZiab Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 11

I keep mine in plastic containers in the fridge, and some commonly used colors pre-colored in pastry bags, all in a ziploc also in the fridge.

Cakepro Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 11

I keep mine in the fridge for months. I just keep it in a glass Pyrex bowl with a very well-sealing lid and plastic wrap on the surface.

Lasts a long time when stored correctly. icon_smile.gif

jtstone Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the info on how to store royal icing. I will give the Pyrex bowl idea a try the next time I make some up.

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 11

Plastic breaths. It is NOT air-tight. Air is RI's enemy icon_sad.gif It also holds grease in the pores - again, grease is RI's enemy. I don't care how good a dishwasher you are or have, it does not come out. (The grease that is.)

I was taught.......yah, I know back in the Victorian era.......never to frig RI.
I have kept it in a glass jar on the kitchen counter for maybe a month but after a week or two it starts to loose it's color and texture - re-beating sometimes would help but many times not.

ladeebug Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 11

I guess the RI I have in my freezer in a plastic container should be tossed?

Cakepro Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Plastic breaths. It is NOT air-tight. Air is RI's enemy icon_sad.gif It also holds grease in the pores - again, grease is RI's enemy. I don't care how good a dishwasher you are or have, it does not come out. (The grease that is.)

I was taught.......yah, I know back in the Victorian era.......never to frig RI.
I have kept it in a glass jar on the kitchen counter for maybe a month but after a week or two it starts to loose it's color and texture - re-beating sometimes would help but many times not.

I currently have a big bowl of RI stored in the fridge in a disposable Ziplock bowl and have kept it in plastic long-term before. icon_smile.gif Fat on plastic is not a permanent bond and can definitely be broken, thus leaving perfectly fat-free plastic.

No need to be scared of plastic. Glass is ideal, but grease-free plastic works just fine too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%