Fondant In Hard Candy Molds

Decorating By Sweetbeth Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm by cakecookie6

Sweetbeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetbeth Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 7

Hi there,
Does anybody know how to get fondant out of hard candy molds? Can I freeze them and have them pop out?
Thanks!
Sweetbeth

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure but I've read this one tutorial where they actually freeze fondant/gumpaste while its still in a silicone mold to preserve its details when popped out.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 7

I do it all the time, but usually with candy clay.

Be careful with your molds though, they can get too brittle and crack when you are getting the fondant/candy out. I have found the silicone molds work best.

Good luck.

Kim

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 7

I just made some shells with fondant in a hard candy mold. I DID have to freeze them to get them out. I also used a toothpick to pry them out -- a combination of sticking it in the fondant to try to lift them out and working in under the edges. They were slightly mangled, but it was for my 4 year olds birthday cake so I used them anyway. Next time, I am going to put a LOT of shortening in the mold first to see if that helps.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

I would use some shortening inside the mold. If your still having issues with sticking then use a dusting of cornstarch inside the mold. I never put mine in the freezer. I just turned them over and banged them out gently and if it still needed a little bit of help I used a toothpick. I also did not use straight fondant because I wanted it to dry faster (I mixed tylose into my fondant 1st).

HTH! icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 7

I found that once I could get it out a little, I could kind of pull them out. So the freezing kept it from ripping apart, and I kind of wedged the toothpick in the side to loosen it. So I'm thinking that maybe if you could stick in a little piece of saran wrap or something and flatten it into the mold with some shortening, then maybe you could use that to pull it up and get it started coming out.

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 7

I spray the mold lightly with cooking spray. Wipe excess out with paper towel. Then push in fondant. I use a bit of fondant to attach to the fondant already in the mold, and pull the piece out. Note: I try first to mold without the cooking spray, but usually it is required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%